Ballot Questions Set for November State Election
The Secretary of State recently announced the list of ballot questions for the November 6, 2018 State Election. They are summarized below, but you can read the full details on the state website. A list of important dates and deadlines is also included below.
Question 1: Patient-to-Nurse Limits
Question 1 would place a limit on the number of patients a single nurse can be assigned at a time and impose a $25,000 fine on hospitals that violate those ratios.
- A YES VOTE would limit the number of patients that could be assigned to one registered nurse in hospitals and certain other health care facilities. https://safepatientlimits.org
- A NO VOTE would make no change in current laws relative to patient-to-nurse limits. https://www.protectpatientsafety.com/
Question 2: Commission on Limiting Election Spending and Corporate Rights
Question 2 would create a citizen commission to push a constitutional amendment to overturn the Citizens United v. FEC Supreme Court decision on campaign finance.
- A YES VOTE would create a citizens commission to advance an amendment to the United States Constitution to limit the influence of money in elections and establish that corporations do not have the same rights as human beings. http://www.americanpromise.net/massachusetts https://peoplegovernnotmoney.org/
- A NO VOTE would not create this commission. (Ballotpedia has not identified committees, organizations, or individuals opposing Question 2.)
Question 3: Transgender Anti-Discrimination
Question 3 proposes to repeal the 2016 state law that banned discrimination against transgender people in places of public accommodation, such as restaurants, malls, and restrooms.
- A YES VOTE would keep in place the current law, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of gender identity in places of public accommodation. https://www.freedommassachusetts.org
- A NO VOTE would repeal this provision of the public accommodation law. https://www.keepmasafe.org/
Important Dates for the 2018 Massachusetts State Election:
- Wed. 8/15/18 – Last Day to Register to Vote for the State Primary. Register Online, by mail or with the Town Clerk.
- Tues. 9/4/18 – State Primary Election – All Hopkinton precincts vote at Hopkinton Middle School. Polls are open 7:00 AM – 8:00 PM.
- Wed. 10/17/18 – Last Day to Register to Vote for the State Election. Register Online, by mail or with the Town Clerk.
- Tues. 11/6/18 – State Election – All Hopkinton precincts vote at Hopkinton Middle School. Polls are open 7:00 AM – 8:00 PM.