Select Board Actions Taken 08/03/21
Agenda Items & Actions Taken:
6:00 PM CALL TO ORDER – EXECUTIVE SESSION
i. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a) (purpose 3) to consider strategy with respect to collective bargaining relative to DPW, Police, Fire and Library Unions, and negotiations with non-union staff, Fire Chief, because an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the negotiating position of the Board.
ii. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a) (purpose 6) to consider the purchase, exchange, lease or value of real estate, land at 0 Frankland Rd. (Assessors Map U7 Block 7 Lot 0), because an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the negotiating position of the Board.
iii. To approve executive session Minutes (7/6/2021).
6:30 PM – CALL TO ORDER – OPEN SESSION PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
Residents are invited to share ideas, opinions or ask questions regarding Town Government.
i. MINUTES – The Select Board will consider approving the Minutes of the July 6, 2021 and July 12, 2021 meetings.
ii. ACCEPT GIFT TO THE POLICE DEPARTMENT – The Select Board will consider accepting a $1,000 gift to the Police Dept. from the Hopkinton Cricket Club.
iii. RESIGNATION – The Select Board will consider accepting the resignation of Rory
Warren from the Board of Appeals.
The Select Board approved the Consent Agenda. (5-0)
APPOINTMENTS – NEW TOWN EMPLOYEES
The Select Board will consider confirming the following Town Manager appointments of new Town employees:
● Simone Carter, Public Health Nurse
● Shivani Raval, Procurement & Grants Manager
● Donald Jazzerowski, Custodian
● Julia Schneiderman, Outreach Coordinator
The Select Board confirmed the Town Manager’s appointment of Simone Carter, Public Health Nurse, Shivani Raval, Procurement & Grants Manager, Donald Jazzerowski, Custodian, and Julia Schneiderman, Outreach Coordinator. (5-0)
APPOINTMENTS – BOARDS/COMMITTEES; OFFICIALS
The Select Board will consider making the following appointments:
● Scott Gonfrade, Constable, term expiring 6/30/2024
● James Frederick, Traffic Constable, term expiring 6/30/2024
● Board of Registrars of Voters, one of up to 3 nominees of the Democratic Town
Committee, and one of up to 3 nominees of the Republican Town Committee, to terms running from 2/1/2021 – 1/31/2024
○ Democratic Town Committee Nominees: 1) Doris Early, 2) Nasiba Mannan, 3) Richard Duggan
○ Republican Town Committee Nominees: Pending
● The Select Board appointed Scott Gonfrade as Constable, to a term expiring 6/30/2024. (5-0)
● The Select Board appointed James Frederick as Traffic Constable, to a term expiring 6/30/2024. (5-0)
● The Select Board appointed Doris Early to the Board of Registrars of Voters, to a term expiring 2/1/2023. (5-0)
APPOINTMENT – FIRE CHIEF
The Select Board will interview William R. Miller for the Fire Chief position and consider appointing him Hopkinton’s next Fire Chief.
The Select Board accepted the Human Resources Director’s screening report and appointed William R. Miller to the position of Fire Chief for the Town of Hopkinton, subject to successful contract negotiations; and authorized the Town Manager and town legal team to commence negotiations. (5-0)
REPLIGEN – COMPANY INTRODUCTION
Representatives of Repligen will introduce the company to the Board and review the desire to negotiate a Tax Increment Finance Agreement with the Town relative to a new location at 99 South Street.
The Select Board authorized the Town Manager and the Town’s legal team to commence TIF negotiations with Repligen. (5-0)
LAKE MASPENOCK WEED MANAGEMENT & CONTROL ADVISORY GROUP – UPDATE
Representatives of the Lake Maspenock Weed Management and Control Advisory Group will update the Select Board on the comprehensive long-term lake management and vegetation control strategy for Lake Maspenock.
DRAFT CHANGES TO TOWN PRECINCT MAP
The Select Board will review draft changes to the Town’s Precinct boundaries based on preliminary population estimates, and hear an update from Connor Degan, Town Clerk. A final map will be prepared for review and approval upon the release of 2020 U.S. Census data.
PUBLIC REQUEST – NO LEFT TURNS AT CUMBERLAND FARMS, 91 WEST MAIN ST.
The Select Board will consider a second request from Darlene Hayes to prohibit left turns out of the driveways at Cumberland Farms, West Main Street Eastbound, to prevent accidents.
POLICE CHIEF UPDATE
The Select Board will consider an update by the Police Chief regarding the department’s staffing plans.
TOWN MANAGER REPORT
i. Main Street Corridor Project Update
ii. Metrowest Veterans Regional District
iii. Release of Executive Session Minutes
LIAISON REPORTS/BOARD INVITES
FUTURE BOARD AGENDA ITEMS
Board members will identify future agenda items.
Correspondence to Select Board
1. Board of Appeals Public Hearing Notice – 111 Hayward St.
2. Board of Appeals Notices of Decision – 44 Hayden Rowe & 9 Walcott St.
3. Comcast Emergency Connectivity Fund
4. Planning Board Public Hearing Notice – Turkey Ridge
5. Xfinity TV Service Changes
6. DPU 21-76 Notice of Filing, Public Hearing, Procedural Conference, and Request for Comments – Petition of Eversource Energy for Approval of Deferral of Major Storm Threshold Amounts for 2020 Storms
7. MBTA Advisory Board Letter
8. U.S. Census – Redistricting Data – What to Expect and When
Materials for this Meeting:
Related News Articles:
- Read “Select Board unanimously approves Bill Miller as fire chief” Hopkinton Independent
- Read “Select Board roundup: Carter new public health nurse, Schneiderman outreach coordinator” Hopkinton Independent
- Read “Hopkinton Select Board unanimously votes for Bill Miller to become fire chief” Metrowest Daily News