Select Board Actions Taken 04/04/23
Agenda Items & Actions Taken:
6:00 PM CALL TO ORDER
1. EXECUTIVE SESSION
a. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a) (purpose 2) to consider strategy with respect to negotiations with non-union personnel (Town Manager);
b. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a) (purpose 6) to consider the purchase, lease, sale or value of real estate in relation to properties in the vicinity of Town Hall, the Jenner Property (Map R12 Block 9 Lot 0), 0 Spring Street, Map R23 Block 100 Lot 0 West Main Street, Map R23 Block 73 Lot A and Block 73 Lot B Rear West Main Street, and 3 contiguous parcels on College Street totalling 20.74 acres because an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the negotiating position of the Board; and
c. Approve Executive Session Minutes (3/14/23)
7:00 PM CALL TO ORDER – OPEN SESSION
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
7:01 PM PUBLIC FORUM
3. Residents are invited to share ideas, opinions or ask questions regarding Town Government.
7:10 PM CONSENT AGENDA
4. The Select Board will consider the following consent agenda:
a. RESIGNATION – The Select Board will consider accepting the resignation of Kathy Yang from the Sustainable Green Committee.
The Select Board approved the Consent Agenda. (4-0)
7:15 PM BOSTON MARATHON FINAL PREPARATION UPDATE
5. The Select Board will receive an update from the Public Safety and Department of Public Works on the final preparations for the 127th Boston Marathon on April 17, 2023.
Supporting Exhibit: Chief Bennett’s memo on road closures
7:30 PM APPRECIATION FOR ASHLAND
6. The Select Board will consider honoring and commemorating Ashland’s historical relationship to the Boston Marathon.
The Select Board approved a Proclamation for the Town of Ashland. (4-0)
7:40 PM NEW EMPLOYEE APPOINTMENT
7. The Select Board will consider confirming the Town Manager’s appointment of Aline Matos as a Public Safety Dispatcher.
Supporting Exhibit: Application
The Select Board confirmed the Town Manager’s appointment of Aline Matos as a Public Safety Dispatcher in the Communications Department. (4-0)
7:40 PM NEW COMMON VICTUALLER LICENSE – ORALE INC. – 24 MAIN STREET
8. The Select Board will consider issuing a Common Victualler license and an Entertainment license to Mauricio and Elizabeth Bremermann for Orale Mexican Cuisine, a new restaurant at 24 Main Street.
Supporting Exhibits: Application and supporting documents
7:50 PM SPECIAL EDUCATION RESERVE FUND SPENDING
9. The Select Board will hear the recommendation of the School Committee and consider voting to approve the expenditure of funds in the School Special Education Reserve Fund.
Supporting Exhibits: Memo – Special Education Reserve Fund Spending
The Select Board approved the expenditure of $1,094,024 from the School Special Education Reserve Fund. (4-0)
8:00 PM MAY 1, 2023 ANNUAL TOWN MEETING
10. The Select Board will consider reviewing the Annual Town Meeting (ATM) Warrant. The Select Board will consider taking positions on Warrant articles. The Select Board will finalize ballot questions. The Select Board will consider reviewing draft Motions.
Supporting Exhibits:Draft Annual Town Meeting Warrant; Draft Warrant & MotionsDocument; Town Meeting & Budget Timeline
The Select Board approved ballot questions for the 2023 Annual Town Meeting Warrant and Town election. (4-0)
8:20 PM FY 24 BUDGET UPDATE
11. The Select Board will hear an update on the FY 24 Budget process. Per the FY 24 Budget Timeline, the Appropriation Committee is now conducting departmental budget reviews with Senior Leaders and has scheduled the FY 24 Budget Hearing in the Select Board meeting room at 6 pm on Monday, April 10, 2023.
Supporting Exhibits:Town Meeting & Budgets
8:30 PM TOWN MANAGER REPORT
12. Town Manager will report on the following:
a. Main Street Corridor Project
b. Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) treatment project
c. Massachusetts Water Resources Authority (MWRA) Southborough Interconnection project
Supporting Exhibits: Town Manager Report
It was the consensus of the Select Board to use $973,414 in ARPA funds for additional costs associated with the PFAS treatment project.
8:35 PM LIAISON REPORTS/BOARD INVITES
13. Supporting Exhibit: FY 23 Liaison Assignments
8:40 PM FUTURE BOARD AGENDA ITEMS
14. Board members will identify future agenda items.
Supporting Exhibit: Board Member Future Agenda Items
Correspondence to Select Board
1. Board of Appeals Public Hearing Notices – 151 Fruit St., 35 Parkwood Dr., 18 Falcon Ridge Rd.
Upcoming Select Board Meetings
1. April 11, 2023
2. April 25, 2023
3. May 1, 2023 (Annual Town Meeting)
4. May 9, 2023
5. May 23, 2023
Materials for this Meeting:
- Agenda and Meeting Packet 4/4/23
- YouTube Video – 2 hours 34 minutes (full meeting)
- YouTube Video – 6 minutes (actions taken summary)