Board of Selectmen Actions Taken 11/13/18
Single tax rate approved for FY19 • FY18 Annual Reviews of the Town Manager, Fire Chief and Police Chief • FY19 Goals for Town Manager
The meeting video is available on the HCAM YouTube Channel and the Actions Taken are posted below.
1. i. MINUTES : The Board will consider approving executive session minutes for 9/11/18, 10/16/18, 10/30/18.
ii. CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS, LITIGATION AND REAL PROPERTY
● To consider litigation strategy with respect to Petition of Eversource Energy for Zoning Exemptions (DPU).
● To discuss strategies with respect to contract negotiations with nonunion employees as an open meeting may have detrimental effects on the bargaining positions of the Board.
6:30 PM PUBLIC SESSION – CALL TO ORDER
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
6:35 PM PUBLIC FORUM
Residents are invited to share ideas, opinions or ask questions regarding town government.
6:45 PM STAFF APPOINTMENTS
i. SPECIAL POLICE OFFICER APPOINTMENTS
The Board of Selectmen will consider appointing the following Public Safety employees as Special Police Officers:
a. Telecommunications Specialist, Kiley Davis
b. Firefighter, Sara Jordan
c. Firefighter, Robert Caron
ii. FIRE DEPARTMENT APPOINTMENT
The Fire Chief will advise the Board of Selectmen of his appointment of Firefighter Maxwell Israeloff.
The Board of Selectmen appointed Kiley Davis, Sara Jordan and Robert Caron as Special Police Officers, to terms expiring 6/30/2021. (5-0)
6:55 PM CONSENT AGENDA
2. i. BOARD MINUTES
The Board of Selectmen will consider approving the 10/30/18 Board of Selectmen Minutes.
ii. eHOP BANNER OVER MAIN STREET
The Board of Selectmen will consider approving a request from Nanda Barker-Hook, on behalf of eHop, for a banner preceding Town Meeting 2019, to be placed across Main Street. The banner would be hung on on/around April 24 through to the last day of Town Meeting or May 8 (whichever comes first) , allowing 14 days maximum for the banner to be up, per the Zoning bylaw. In accordance with the Zoning Bylaw, the size of a banner may not exceed 75 square feet. It is likely that eHop will use the 72 or 75 sq. ft. design, depending on the distance between the utility poles.
The Board of Selectmen will consider accepting the resignation of Timoria Saba as a
member and as Chair of the Youth Commission.
Supporting Exhibits: resignation email
● The Board of Selectmen approved Consent Agenda items i and ii. (5-0)
● The Board of Selectmen accepted the resignation of Timoria Saba from the Youth Commission. (5-0)
7:00 PM POSTED PUBLIC HEARING – TAX CLASSIFICATION HEARING
3. The Board will hold a public hearing to determine the percentage of local tax levy to be borne by each class of real and personal property, in accordance with Chapter 40, Section 56, as certified by the Commissioner of Revenue through the Hopkinton Board of Assessor’s property assessment of full and fair cash valuation. Oral and written comments from the public will be accepted at the hearing.
Supporting Exhibits: Public Hearing Notice ; Tax Classification Hearing Letter to Board and Citizens of Hopkinton ; Board of Assessor’s Presentation
● The Board of Selectmen voted not to grant an open space exemption. (5-0)
● The Board of Selectmen voted not to grant a residential exemption. (5-0)
● The Board of Selectmen voted not to grant a small commercial exemption. (5-0)
● The Board of Selectmen approved a single tax rate for FY19. (5-0)
● The Board of Selectmen voted to sign the LA-5 Form for the Department of Revenue. (5-0)
7:50 PM MARATHON FUND COMMITTEE CHARGE; BOARD/COMMITTEE APPOINTMENTS
4. i. The Board of Selectmen will discuss the Marathon Fund Committee Charge.
ii. The Board of Selectmen will consider appointing Don Wolf to the Council on Aging.
Supporting Exhibits: Application
The Board of Selectmen appointed Don Wolf to the Council on Aging, to a term expiring 6/30/2019. (5-0)
8:00 PM FIRE CHIEF/POLICE CHIEF/TOWN MANAGER PERFORMANCE EVALUATION &
5. GOALS (DISCUSSION/ACTION)
The Board of Selectmen will conduct the FY 18 annual reviews of and discuss the prospective FY 19 goals for the Town Manager, Police Chief and Fire Chief.
● The Board of Selectmen approved FY19 goals for the Fire Chief. (5-0)
● The Board of Selectmen approved a Clearly Outstanding rating for Steve Slaman, Fire Chief. (5-0)
● The Board of Selectmen approved an Above Satisfactory rating for Ed Lee, Police Chief. (4-0-1)
● The Board of Selectmen approved FY19 goals for the Police Chief. (5-0)
● The Board of Selectmen approved a Clearly Outstanding rating for Norman Khumalo, Town Manager. (4-0-1)
● The Board of Selectmen approved FY19 goals for the Town Manager. (5-0)
9:00 PM TOWN MANAGER REPORT
6. a. Naming of Senior Center Kitchen: The Town Manager will seek Board of Selectmen authorization to begin the process of naming the Senior Center kitchen. (ACTION)
Supporting Exhibits: Public Asset Naming Policy
9:15 PM LIAISON REPORTS/BOARD INVITES
Supporting Exhibits: 2018-2019 Liaison Assignment List ; List of Board Invites; Board Invites for November 13, 2018
9:20 PM FUTURE BOARD AGENDA ITEMS
9:30 PM ADJOURN