Select Board – Actions Taken 06/16/2020
Legislative Updates from Senate President Karen Spilka and Representative Carolyn Dykema • Covid-19 Update • Consent Agenda • 26.2 Foundation – Hopkinton Virtual Marathon • Temporary Outdoor Dining Permit Application • Legacy Farms Host Community Agreement Amendment #7 • General Obligation and Bond Approval • Water and Sewer Rates • FY 2020 AND FY 2021 Budget Updates, Annual Town Meeting Date • Town Manager Report – Lift Hiring Freeze to allow hiring of the Town Accountant position, Dispatchers, Main Street Corridor Project Update
The meeting video is available on the HCAM YouTube Channel and the Actions Taken are posted in blue below.
SELECT BOARD MEETING AGENDA
Tuesday, June 16, 2020 6:00 PM
6:05 PM LEGISLATIVE UPDATE
1. The Select Board will hear legislative updates from Senate President Karen Spilka and Representative Carolyn Dykema.
View Video ~30 minutes
6:35 PM COVID-19 UPDATE
3. The Select Board will receive an update from the Board of Health on the Town’s response to COVID-19.
View Video ~12 minutes
6:50 PM CONSENT AGENDA
4. i. MINUTES – The Select Board will consider approving the Minutes of the 6/2/2020 and 6/11/2020 meetings.
ii.CONSERVATION RESTRICTION, 4 VALENTINE CIRCLE
The Select Board will consider signing a Conservation Restriction which grants a restriction on 4.9 acres owned by Donald & Meghan Lussier to the Hopkinton Area Land Trust.
iii. ACCEPT GIFT
The Select Board will consider accepting a gift of $250.00 to the Public Library from the SCORE Worcester Chapter to assist with the challenges created by the restrictions of the COVID 19 pandemic, in recognition of the support the library provides to SCORE by providing a place where volunteers and their clients can meet.
Supporting Exhibit: Conservation Restriction
The Select Board approved the Consent Agenda. (5-0)
View Video ~2 minutes
6:55 PM 26.2 FOUNDATION – HOPKINTON VIRTUAL MARATHON
5. The Select Board will receive an update on the 26.2 Foundation’s plan for Hopkinton’s participation in the BAA’s 2020 Boston Marathon Virtual Experience on September 14, 2020.
Supporting Exhibits: 26.2 Foundation Proposed BAA 2020 Boston Marathon Virtual Experience in Hopkinton
View Video ~10 minutes
7:05 PM TEMPORARY OUTDOOR DINING PERMIT APPLICATION
6. The Select Board will consider approving applications for temporary outdoor dining where alcoholic beverages will be served and alteration of premises is proposed.
a. Hopkinton Spoon, 1 Lumber St.
b. Bittersweet Company, 22-24 Main St.
Supporting Exhibits: Hopkinton Spoon Application
The Select Board approved a Temporary Outdoor Dining permit application for Hopkinton Spoon. (5-0)
View Video ~3 minutes
7:10 PM LEGACY FARMS HOST COMMUNITY AGREEMENT AMENDMENT #7
7. The Select Board will consider approving Amendment #7 to the Legacy Farms Host Community Agreement.
Supporting Exhibits: Proposed Host Community Agreement Amendment #7; Legacy Farms Host Community Agreement as amended through Sept. 2019
- The Select Board approved Amendment #7 to the Legacy Farms Host Community Agreement. (5-0)
- The Select Board adopted a statement relative to Legacy Farms, infrastructure improvements, and the Master Plan Special Permit. (5-0)
7:20 PM GENERAL OBLIGATION BOND APPROVAL
8. The Select Board will consider approving general obligation bond financing to support $9,500,000.00 in projects approved at the 12/9/2019 Special Town Meeting.
Supporting Exhibits: Treasurer Memo & Attachments, General Municipal Bonds
The Select Board approved the sale of the $8,915,000 General Obligation Municipal Purpose Loan of 2020 Bonds to FHN Financial Capital Markets at the price of $9,581,671.59, with terms and conditions.(5-0)
View Video ~14 minutes
7:30 PM WATER AND SEWER RATES
9. The Select Board will consider setting Water and Sewer Rates for FY21.
Supporting Exhibits: FY21 Water Rate Study Recommendation; FY21 Sewer Rate Study Recommendation; FY21 Water & Sewer Rate Study Final Report
- The Select Board set water rates for FY21 with an increase of 3% effective 7/1/20. (5-0)
- The Select Board set sewer rates for FY21 with an increase of 2.5% effective 7/1/20. (5-0)
- The Select Board implemented a $200 per year sewer bill discount for residential customers receiving certain property tax exemptions for FY21, effective 7/1/20. (5-0)
View Video ~20 minutes
8:00 PM FY 2020 AND FY 2021 BUDGET UPDATES, ANNUAL TOWN MEETING DATE
10. The Select Board will consider FY 2020 and 2021 budget updates, including approving the 1/12 budgets for July, August and September 2020 for submission to the Mass. Department of Revenue. The Select Board will consider setting the date for the Annual Town Meeting in September, 2020.
Supporting Exhibit: FY 2021 Departmental Detail 1/12 Budgets, June 16, 2020
The Select Board authorized monthly expenditures for July 2020 in the following amounts: (5-0)
- Municipal Expenditures (non-School) 8,283,956
- School Expenditures 1,267,005
- Enterprise Funds 1,861,889
The Select Board authorized monthly expenditures for August 2020 in the following amounts: (5-0)
- Municipal Expenditures (non-School) 1,913,807
- School Expenditures 1,560,910
- Enterprise Funds 388,216
The Select Board authorized monthly expenditures for September 2020 in the following amounts: (5-0)
- Municipal Expenditures (non-School) 3,410,260
- School Expenditures 4,422,830
- Enterprise Funds 334,146
The Select Board set the date of the Annual Town Meeting, to be held on September 21, 2020. (5-0)
View Video ~15 minutes
8:10 PM TOWN MANAGER REPORT
a. Lift Hiring Freeze to allow hiring of the Town Accountant position, Dispatchers.
b. Main Street Corridor Project Update.
Supporting Exhibits: Town Manager Report
The Select Board allowed the Town to fill the Senior Accounting Manager position and positions in the Communications/Dispatchers job group. (5-0)
View Video ~8 minutes
Correspondence to the Select Board
1. Board of Appeals Public Hearing Notice – 60 Pine Island Rd.
2. Board of Appeals Public Hearing Notice – 160 East Main St.
3. Board of Appeals Notice of Decision – 54 Lake Shore Dr.
4. Commit to Action, Leonard Andrews, Grove St.
5. Hopkinton Town Common, Rick Kelly, Ash St.
6. Thank you from the Shield Team, Doug Scott, Hopkinton Public Schools
Upcoming Select Board Meetings
1. July 21, 2020
2. August 4, 2020
3. August 18, 2020