Select Board Actions Taken 02/23/21
Agenda Items & Actions Taken:
6:00 PM CALL TO ORDER
1. EXECUTIVE SESSION
i. To consider approving executive session minutes of Feb. 9, 2021.
ii. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a)(Purpose 3), to discuss strategy concerning ongoing litigation before the Department of Industrial Accidents, because discussing the same in open session would have a detrimental effect on the Town’s litigation strategy.
iii. Pursuant to M.G.L . c.30A, §21(a) (Purpose 3) to consider strategy with respect to collective bargaining relative to DPW, Police, Fire and Library Unions, because an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the negotiating position of the Board.
iv. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a)(Purpose 6) to consider the purchase, exchange, lease or value of real estate, the lease of East Main St. property to the 26.2 Foundation, and relative to the Upper Charles Trail, because an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the negotiating position of the Board.
6:15 PM CALL TO ORDER – OPEN SESSION
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
6:16 PM PUBLIC FORUM
3. Residents are invited to share ideas, opinions or ask questions regarding Town Government.
6:25 PM COVID-19 UPDATE
4. The Select Board will hear an update on the Town’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic.
6:35 PM CONSENT AGENDA
5. i. MINUTES – The Select Board will consider approving the Minutes of the February 2, 2021 and February 9, 2021 meetings.
ii. RESIGNATION – The Select Board will consider accepting the resignation of Marilyn Palmer from the Council on Aging .
iii. APPOINTMENT – The Select Board will consider reappointing Ed Harrow as the Con. Comm. representative to the Open Space Preservation Commission, term expiration 6/30/2025.
iv. APPOINTMENT – The Select Board will consider appointing Rebecka Lapierre as a Traffic Constable (term expiring 6/30/2023).
v. AMBULANCE GIFT – The Select Board will consider accepting a $100 gift to the Ambulance Fund from Mary Louise Moore in memory of Francis Pyne.
The Select Board approved Consent Agenda items i, iii, and iv. (5-0)
The Select Board approved Consent Agenda items ii and v. (5-0)
6:45 PM 2021 ANNUAL TOWN MEETING
6. PUBLIC FORUM – PROPOSED AMENDMENTS TO GENERAL BYLAWS
The Select Board will hold a Public Forum to hear public comment on proposed amendments to the General Bylaws, as follows:
- 1. Dog Licensing
- 2. Discharge of Firearms
- 3. Obstruction of Streets & Sidewalks
- 4. Street Opening Permits
- 5. Trench Safety Officer
● The Select Board voted to take no action on the Discharge of Firearms bylaw this year and not to include it on the 2021 Annual Town Meeting warrant. (5-0)
● The Select Board voted to recommend that the Dog Licensing bylaw amendment be adopted at the 2021 Annual Town Meeting. (5-0)
● The Select Board voted to recommend that the Obstruction of Streets & Sidewalks bylaw amendments be adopted at the 2021 Annual Town Meeting. (5-0)
● The Select Board voted to recommend that the Street Opening Permit bylaw be adopted at the 2021 Annual Town Meeting. (5-0)
● The Select Board voted to recommend that the Trench Safety Officer bylaw be adopted at the 2021 Annual Town Meeting. (5-0)
7:05 PM BUDGET AND CAPITAL HEARINGS
7. The Select Board will conduct budget and capital hearings with the following Departments: Land Use, Planning & Permitting; Town Manager; Finance; Human Resources; Library.
7:30 PM TOWN MANAGER REPORT
8. i. Main Street Corridor Project Update
ii. All Hands Meeting – March 3. 2021
7:35 PM LIAISON REPORTS/BOARD INVITES
9. Supporting Exhibits : FY 21 Liaison Assignments
7:40 PM FUTURE BOARD AGENDA ITEMS
10. Board members will identify future agenda items.
7:45 PM ADJOURN
Correspondence to Select Board
- 1. John Palmer Resignation, Cemetery Commission
- 2. Verizon Fios Notification
- 3. Forging Ahead – MBTA Service Changes – Public Informational Meeting Feb. 24, 2021
- 4. MBTA Forging Ahead Coffee Chats
- 5. Letter from Mary Arnaut dated 2-16-21 re: solar farm regulation
- 6. 1 Grove Street – Submission of a Temporary Solution Status Report
Materials for this Meeting:
- Agenda and Meeting Packet
- YouTube Video – 1 hour 41 minutes
Related News Articles:
- Read “Health department, schools push forward on reopening plan following announcement from state“
- Read “Select Board removes proposed firearm restriction amendment for this year but plans to revisit it“
- Read “Select Board roundup: CFO requests additional funds so town can ‘stand up to Eversource“