Select Board Actions Taken 02/28/23
Agenda Items & Actions Taken:
6:00 PM CALL TO ORDER
1. EXECUTIVE SESSION
a. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a) (purpose 3) to consider strategy with respect to collective bargaining relative to Police, Fire and Communications Unions because an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the negotiating position of the Board;
b. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a) (purpose 2) to consider strategy with respect to negotiations with non-union personnel (Police Chief and Town Manager)
c. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a) (purpose 6) to consider the purchase, lease, sale or value of real estate in relation to properties in the vicinity of Town Hall, 0 Spring Street, Map R23 Block 100 Lot 0 West Main Street, Map R23 Block 73 Lot A and Block 73 Lot B Rear West Main Street, and 3 contiguous parcels on College Street totaling 20.74 acres because an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the negotiating position of the Board; and
d. Approve Executive Session Minutes (2/7/23, 2/14/23)
6:30 PM CALL TO ORDER – OPEN SESSION
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
6:31 PM PUBLIC FORUM
3. Residents are invited to share ideas, opinions or ask questions regarding Town Government.
6:40 PM ELEMENTARY SCHOOL BUILDING COMMITTEE 2 ELMWOOD SCHOOL PREFERRED REPLACEMENT OPTION
4. The Elementary School Building Committee 2 will ask the Select Board to consider voting on the preferred schematic option and site for replacing Elmwood School. The School. Committee will be in attendance.
Supporting Exhibits: ESBC-2 Presentation
The Select Board endorsed the Elementary School Building Committee’s recommendation for a
preferred Elmwood Replacement option. (4-0)
7:00 PM FY 2022 AUDIT REPORT
5. The Select Board will receive an update on the Town’s FY22 Audited Financial Statements.
Supporting Exhibits: Memo, Auditor’s Report
7:15 PM PUBLIC INFORMATION SESSION ON PROPOSED GENERAL BYLAW AMENDMENTS
6. The Select Board will hold a public information session on proposed amendments to the General Bylaws which are on the warrant for the 2023 Annual Town Meeting. The. proposed General Bylaw amendments are:
● Housekeeping Amendment – Delete Definition (Ch. 1, Art. V) – Sponsor: Town Clerk
● Minutes Bylaw Amendment (Ch. 5, Art. VIII) – Sponsor: Town Clerk
● Leash Law Bylaw Amendment (Ch. 62, Art. III) – Sponsor: Select Board
● Short Term Rental Bylaw – Sponsor: Select Board
● Gun Club Indoor Shooting – Sponsor: Citizens Petition
Supporting Exhibits: Description of Amendments; Text of Amendments
7:45 PM PUBLIC HEARING – FY24 COMPREHENSIVE BUDGET
7. The Select Board will hold a public hearing on the proposed FY24 Comprehensive Budget, which includes operating budgets and capital project requests. The Board is seeking comments, questions and ideas.
Supporting Exhibits: FY24 Budget Questions for Select Board; Comprehensive Budget information
8:15 PM 127th BOSTON MARATHON, APRIL 17, 2023
8. The Select Board will:
● Consider approving a Parade Permit for the 127th Boston Marathon, to be held on Monday, April 17, 2023 with the starting point at E. Main St. adjacent to the Hopkinton Common and ending point at Route 135 at Hopkinton/Ashland line. The road closures will be variable starting at 7:00 AM and will be determined by the Hopkinton Police Department as the event gets closer.
● Receive an update on the Boston Marathon starting line re-design.
Supporting Exhibits: Parade Permit Applications and supporting documents; Permitting Team Comments; Startline re-design proposed plans.
The Select Board approved a Parade Permit for the 127th Boston Marathon on April 17, 2023. (4-0)
8:30 PM CELEBRATING ASHLAND’S PLACE IN BOSTON MARATHON HISTORY
9. The Select Board will consider acknowledging, honoring and celebrating Ashland’s history in the Boston Marathon. 2023 marks the 100th anniversary of the last time Ashland hosted the start of the Boston Marathon.
The Select Board authorized the Chair to send a letter to the Chair of the Ashland Select Board
informing and inviting Ashland to the celebration event. (4-0)
8:40 PM CONSENT AGENDA
10. The Select Board will consider the following consent agenda:
a. MINUTES – The Select Board will consider approving the Minutes of the February 7th and 14th, 2023 meetings.
b. AMBULANCE GIFT – The Select Board will consider accepting an Ambulance Fund Gift of $25.00 from Karen Woodbury in memory of Julia Harris.
c. BOARD/COMMITTEE APPOINTMENTS – The Select Board will consider re-appointing Cristine Enos to the Cultural Council to a term ending on 3/10/2026.
d. MARATHON FUND REQUEST – The Select Board will consider approving the following Marathon Fund requests:
1. $2,600 to the class of 2023 of which $500 will be used for a DJ at the Gillette dinner for the Seniors and their parents and $2,100 will be used for Police Detail for the car parade.
2. $2,000 to the Senior Center to pay for exercise classes at the Senior Center.
3. $1,500 to the Hopkinton Police Association for buying fish to stock the pond at the Hopkinton Sportsmen’s Association for the May 13, 2023 fishing derby.
Supporting Exhibits: Marathon Fund Request Forms
The Select Board approved the Consent Agenda. (4-0)
8:45 PM TOWN MANAGER REPORT
11. Town Manager will report on the following:
a. Draft SWAP/TRIC Shared Housing Services (SHSO) Intermunicipal Agreement
b. Main Street Corridor Project
c. Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) treatment project
d. Massachusetts Water Resources Authority (MWRA) Southborough Interconnection project
e. Tax relief remarks
Supporting Exhibits: Town Manager Report
8:50 PM LIAISON REPORTS/BOARD INVITES
12. Supporting Exhibit: FY 23 Liaison Assignments; Invite-Cultural Council Artists Reception
8:55 PM FUTURE BOARD AGENDA ITEMS
13. Board members will identify future agenda items.
Supporting Exhibit: Board Member Future Agenda Items
9:00 PM ADJOURN
Correspondence to Select Board
- 1. Email – Municipal Electricity Aggregation – 2-13-23
- 2. Board of Health Violation Notice
- 3. Verizon Fios – LFA Notice – Mexicanal HD
- 4. Public Hearing Notice – Zoning Bylaw Amendments – 3-6-23
- 5. Email from Keith Rowe 2-17-23 re proposed Gun Club shooting bylaw
- 6. Email from Sarah & Ben Paharik regarding Housing by-law 2-21-23
- 7. Board of Appeals Notice of Decision – 18 Kruger Road
- 8. 8 Pike St. Support for Short Term Rental Bylaw
- 9. Email – Support of Outdoor Gun Shooting Ban – 2-20-23
Upcoming Select Board Meetings
- 1. March 14, 2023
- 2. March 28, 2023
- 3. April 4, 2023
- 4. April 11, 2023
Materials for this Meeting:
- Agenda and Meeting Packet
- YouTube Video – 3 hours 44 minutes (full meeting)
- YouTube Video – 11 minutes (actions taken summary)