Select Board Actions Taken 02/14/23
Agenda Items & Actions Taken:
6:00 PM CALL TO ORDER
1. EXECUTIVE SESSION
a. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a) (purpose 3) to consider strategy with respect to collective bargaining relative to Police, Fire and Communications Unions because an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the negotiating position of the Board;
b. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a) (purpose 2) to consider strategy with respect to negotiations with non-union personnel (Police Chief and Town Manager).
6:30 PM CALL TO ORDER – OPEN SESSION
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
6:31 PM PUBLIC FORUM
3. Residents are invited to share ideas, opinions or ask questions regarding Town Government.
6:40 PM CONSENT AGENDA
4. The Select Board will consider the following consent agenda:
a. MINUTES – The Select Board will consider approving the Minutes of the January 31, 2023 meeting.
b. AMBULANCE GIFT- The Select Board will consider accepting an Ambulance Fund Gift of $25 from the Lynchs; $50 from the Butchers & $200 from Debra Peaslee (Julia Harris’s daughter) in memory of Julia Harris.
c. RESIGNATION- The Select Board will consider accepting the resignation of Ashley Fogg from the Youth Commission
d. PARADE PERMIT APPLICATION – SHARON TIMLIN RACE, JUNE 17, 2023- The Select Board will consider approving a parade permit application for the 20th Annual Sharon Timlin Memorial 5K Race, to be held on Saturday, June 17, 2023 with the starting and ending point being the Loop Road, with road closures on Hayden Rowe from Grove Street to Chestnut Street.
e. PARADE PERMIT APPLICATION – HOPKINTON LITTLE LEAGUE RACE, APRIL 23, 2023- The Select Board will consider approving a parade permit application for the Annual Hopkinton Little League Opening Day Parade, to be held on Saturday, April 23, 2023 with the starting point being the Town Common and ending point a driveway at Carrigan Park, with road closures from the Common to 85 Main St.
Supporting Exhibits: Parade Permit Applications and supporting documents; Permitting Team Comments
● The Select Board approved Consent Agenda items a, b and c. (5-0)
● The Select Board approved a Parade Permit for the Sharon Timlin Race on June 17, 2023. (5-0)
● The Select Board approved a Parade Permit for the Hopkinton Little League Opening Day Parade on April 23, 2023 with the condition that organizers coordinate with the Town regarding the Main Street Corridor Project schedule.
6:50 PM REGIONAL EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS CENTER
5. The Select Board will consider Hopkinton’s participation in a Regional Emergency Communications Center and review a draft Intermunicipal Agreement (IMA) between Southborough, Grafton, Westborough and Hopkinton. The Select Board will take a formal position on the IMA.
Supporting Exhibits: Resident Feedback: Draft Inter-Municipal Agreement (IMA)
On the following Question and Motion, the Select Board voted 2-3.
Question: “Shall the municipality accept the provisions of sections 18O to 18V, inclusive, of chapter 6A of the General Laws providing for the establishment of a regional 911 emergency communication district, together with the towns of Hopkinton, Grafton, Southborough, and Westborough, and the construction or siting, administration, operation and maintenance of a regional 911 emergency communication center by the district under the provisions of the proposed district agreement filed with the Select Board and, to execute, and to authorize the Chair to execute, said agreement with any non-substantive changes made prior to the submission of the grant application?”
MOVE to vote in the affirmative to the question presented, and to accept the provisions of the proposed district agreement, including Hopkinton’s right to withdraw from the same on or before June 1, 2023.
7:15 PM BOARD/COMMITTEE APPOINTMENTS
6. The Select Board will consider appointing a member to the existing vacancy on the following Boards & Committees:
● Council on Aging- 1 vacancy with the term expiring on 6/30/2024 – Applicants; Paula Haas and Carla L Pepka.
● Hopkinton Historic District Commission- 1 At Large vacancy, 1 Resident of the district vacancy with the term expiring on 6/30/2025 – Applicant; Suzanne H Green.
Supporting Exhibits: Applications & Resumes
● The Select Board appointed Paula Haas to the Council on Aging, to a term expiring 6/30/2024. (4-0)
● The Select Board appointed Suzanne H. Green as an at-large member of the Hopkinton Historic District Commission, to a term expiring 6/30/2025. (4-0)
7:25 PM ONE DAY SPECIAL TEMPORARY ALCOHOL LICENSE – HOPKINTON LITTLE LEAGUE
7. The Select Board will consider approving a Special Temporary Alcohol License for Jessica Staffiori, on behalf of the Hopkinton Little League, for its annual fundraiser. The event is to be held on May 19, 2023 from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. at the St. John’s Parish Hall located at 20 Church St. The alcohol will be served by TIPS certified servers and will be supplied from Marty’s & Startline Brewery. In addition, the Board will consider a fee waiver for the license application.
Supporting Exhibits: Applications; Permitting Team Comments
The Select Board approved a Special Temporary Alcohol License for the Little League fundraiser on May 19, 2023. (4-0)
7:30 PM OUI LAST DRINK DATA
8. The Select Board will receive a report from Police Chief Joseph Bennett regarding OUI Last Drink Data for October, 2021 through September, 2022.
Supporting Exhibits: Memo, OUI Last Drink Data
7:45 PM FY24 BUDGET & CAPITAL HEARINGS
9. The Select Board will conduct budget and capital hearings: Senior Services.
Supporting Exhibits: FY24 Comprehensive Budget Proposal; Senior Center Budget
8:00 PM MAY 1, 2023 ANNUAL TOWN MEETING WARRANT
10. The Select Board will review its own Annual Town Meeting articles.
Supporting Exhibits: Draft Warrant Article List
8:15 PM TOWN MANAGER REPORT
11. Town Manager will report on the following:
a. Main Street Corridor Project
b. Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) treatment project
c. Massachusetts Water Resources Authority (MWRA) Southborough Interconnection project
Supporting Exhibits: Town Manager Report
8:25 PM LIAISON REPORTS/BOARD INVITES
12. Supporting Exhibit: FY 23 Liaison Assignments
8:30 PM FUTURE BOARD AGENDA ITEMS
13. Board members will identify future agenda items.
Supporting Exhibit: Board Member Future Agenda Items
8:35 PM ADJOURN
Upcoming Select Board Meetings
1. February 28, 2023
2. March 14, 2023
3. March 28, 2023
4. April 4, 2023
Materials for this Meeting:
- Agenda and Meeting Packet
- YouTube Video – 3 hours 7 minutes (full meeting)
- YouTube Video – 7 minutes (actions taken summary)