Select Board Actions Taken 05/23/23
Agenda Items & Actions Taken:
6:00 PM CALL TO ORDER
1. EXECUTIVE SESSION
a. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a) (purpose 2) to consider strategy with respect to negotiations with non-union personnel (Town Manager, non-union Town employees);
b. Approval of Executive Session Minutes (5/9/2023).
6:30 PM CALL TO ORDER – OPEN SESSION
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
6:31 PM PUBLIC FORUM
3. Residents are invited to share ideas, opinions or ask questions regarding Town Government.
6:40 PM SELECT BOARD REORGANIZATION
4. The Select Board will elect a Chair and Vice Chair for the next year.
● The Select Board elected Muriel Kramer as Chair. (5-0)
● The Select Board elected Shahidul Mannan as Vice Chair. (5-0)
6:45 PM CONSENT AGENDA
5. The Select Board will consider the following consent agenda:
a. MINUTES – The Select Board will consider approving the Minutes of the May 9, 2023 meeting.
b. RESIGNATION – The Select Board will consider accepting the resignation of Cynthia Esthimer from the Upper Charles Trail Committee (Parks & Recreation Commission designee).
c. ACCEPT GIFTS – The Select Board will consider accepting the following gifts:
● $1,250 for hotspots for the ‘Library of Things’ at the Hopkinton Public Library from the Hopkinton Public Library Foundation.
● $50,000 from an anonymous donor to the Hopkinton Police Department in recognition of the outstanding efforts over the years in providing order and security for the runners of the Boston Marathon.
d. G.L. c.268A DISCLOSURE FORM REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF 20(b) EXEMPTIONS –
The Select Board will review G.L. c.268A Disclosure Forms and consider approving 20(b) exemptions to allow the hiring of the following municipal employees of the School Dept. who seek to provide personal services to a municipal agency (Parks & Recreation Dept.), for Seasonal Summer Sports Clinics:
● Thomas Keane- Basketball Clinic Program Director
● Jean Cann- Track & Field Clinic Program Director
● Michael Greco- Basketball Clinic Assistant Director
● Mark Sanborn- Basketball Clinic Coach
● Gregory Romanko- Basketball Clinic Coach
● John Golden- Basketball Clinic Coach
● Chaney Gaudette- Basketball Clinic Coach
● Mikayla Pucci- Basketball Clinic Coach
● Calli Korbey- Sports Clinic Coach
The Human Resources Department recommends the hiring of these individuals for the Seasonal Summer Sports Clinics.
Supporting Exhibits: Applications
● The Select Board approved Consent Agenda items a, b and c. (5-0)
● The Select Board approved G.L. c. 268A 20(b) exemptions for the requested municipal employees who will provide services to the Parks & Recreation Dept. for seasonal summer sports clinics. (5-0)
6:50 PM TOWN EMPLOYEE INTRODUCTIONS & APPOINTMENT
6. a. The Town Manager will introduce Thomas Temple as the interim Director for the Department of Public Works and Patricia Savage as the Interim Director for the Parks and Recreation Department.
b. The Select Board will consider confirming the Town Manager’s appointment of Charles Paquette as the Town’s Assistant Treasurer.
Supporting Exhibits: Charles Paquette Resume
The Select Board confirmed the Town Manager’s appointment of Charles Paquette as Assistant Treasurer. (5-0)
7:00 PM UPPER CHARLES TRAIL COMMITTEE (UCTC) – TOWN MEETING FOLLOW UP
7. The Select Board will consider acknowledging the 2023 Annual Town Meeting advisory vote to dissolve the UCTC and express that it will work with stakeholders to move forward with a solution that the majority of the town will support.
Supporting Exhibits: Upper Charles Trail Committee Charge; Trail Coordination and Management Committee Charge; Select Board Member Input; Notes from UCTC 5-17-23 Meeting – Changes to Committee Charge
● The Select Board authorized members Amy Ritterbusch and Irfan Nasrullah to constitute a subcommittee to develop a public survey for the Board’s review, pertaining to the Upper Charles Trail Committee. (5-0)
● The Select Board voted to pause the work of the Upper Charles Trail Committee until July 11, 2023. (3-2)
7:10 PM VOLUNTEER RECOGNITION
8. The Select Board will continue considering options and opportunities for recognizing town volunteers.
Supporting Exhibits: Memo
7:15 pm 25-35 MAIN ST. PARKING LOT
9. The parking lot at 25-35 Main Street is complete and ready to be acquired by the Town. To complete the acquisition, the Select Board will consider voting on and executing an Order of Taking, voting to accept an Access, Utility and Snow Storage Easement, and voting to authorize the Town Manager to execute a revocable license agreement.
Supporting Exhibit: License Agreement; Access Utility & Snow Storage Easement; Order of Taking
The Select Board voted to adopt and execute an Order of Taking to acquire the parking lot at 25-35 Main Street, accept an Access, Utility and Snow Storage Easement from Kevin W. Lobisser, Trustee of the Hopkinton Village Center Condominium Trust, and approve the form of Revocable License Agreement with Kevin W. Lobisser, Trustee of the Hopkinton Village Center Condominium Trust and authorize the Town Manager to execute the license on behalf of the Board; and to authorize the Town Manager and Town Counsel to take any necessary actions and execute any associated agreements needed to effectuate these transactions. (5-0)
7:20 PM TOWN MANAGER REPORT
10. Town Manager will report on the following:
a. Town Meeting Retrospective
b. Main Street Corridor Project
c. Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) treatment project
d. Massachusetts Water Resources Authority (MWRA) Southborough Interconnection project
e. Fundraising totals for the 127th Boston Marathon $526,450.55 compared to $390,065.58 in 2022.
Supporting Exhibits: Town Manager Report
7:25 PM LIAISON REPORTS/BOARD INVITES
11. Supporting Exhibit: FY 23 Liaison Assignments
7:30 PM FUTURE BOARD AGENDA ITEMS
12. Board members will identify future agenda items.
Supporting Exhibit: Board Member Future Agenda Items
7:35 PM ADJOURN
Correspondence to Select Board
1. 5-9-23 Email from Beth Kelly – Historic District Not Protected
2. Board of Appeals Notices of Decision – 35 Parkwood Dr., 151 Fruit St.
3. 5-12-23 Email from James Bruce – New Construction
4. Notice of Acceptance of Chapter 269 of the Acts of 2022 (Middlesex Retirement COLA)
5. Municipal Property Master Planning Public Forum – May 24, 2023
6. Commission on Disability – Vacancy Notice
7. 5-10-23 Email from John Ritz – UCTC
8. 5-18-23 Emails from Carolyn & Andy Fitzpatrick and Nancy & Jose Losada – UCTC Concerns
9. 5-18-23 Email from Beth Malloy – Hayden Rowe Bike Trail
10. 5-9-23 Email from Jamie Wronka – Upper Charles Trail Committee – community directions
11. 5-9-23 Email from Lucia Lopez – UCTC Town Meeting Follow Up
12. 5-6-23 Email from Sally Snyder – Why?
Upcoming Select Board Meetings
1. June 6, 2023
2. June 20, 2023
3. July 11, 2023
4. August 8, 2023