Select Board Actions Taken 09/19/23
Agenda Items & Actions Taken:
1. EXECUTIVE SESSION
a. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a) (purpose 3) to consider strategy with respect to negotiations with the Fire union.
b. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a) (purpose 6) to consider the purchase, lease, sale or value of real estate in relation to properties in the vicinity of Town Hall and South Street, and parcels owned by Umina off Chestnut Street, because an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the negotiating position of the Board;
c. Approval of Executive Session Minutes of August 1 and September 5, 2023.
6:30 PM CALL TO ORDER – OPEN SESSION
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
6:31 PM PUBLIC FORUM
3. Residents are invited to share ideas, opinions or ask questions regarding Town Government.
The Select Board announced a signed Memorandum of Agreement with the Fire union, for the contract period 7/1/2022 to 6/30/2025.
6:40 PM CONSENT AGENDA
4. The Select Board will consider the following consent agenda:
a. MINUTES – The Select Board will consider approving the Minutes of the September 5, 2023 meeting.
b. ACCEPT GIFTS – The Select Board will consider accepting a gift of $1000.00 from
Karen Bonazzoli in honor of her father Alfred Bonazzoli who lived at 7 Cole Drive and she would like it to be used “to benefit the fire department.
c. RESIGNATION – The Select Board will consider accepting the resignations of Kevin Baxter from the Board of Appeals.
d. GARDEN OF HOPE – The Select Board will consider endorsing and supporting the Garden of Hope from the 24th of September to the 31st of October on the Town Common as a part of the Recovery Day being organized by the Hopkinton Youth and Family Services. The Garden of Hope is a dedicated space on the common to recognize and commemorate persons in recovery, struggling with recovery, or who have lost loved ones to substance misuse. People may place a flag (white, yellow, or purple) on the ground to honor those connected to substance misuse.
Supporting Exhibits: Garden of Hope Flyer
● The Select Board approved Consent Agenda items a, b and c. (5-0)
● The Select Board endorsed and supported the Garden of Hope on the Town Common as described. (5-0)
6:45 PM MEANS TESTED SENIOR CITIZEN PROPERTY TAX EXEMPTION FOR FY 2024
5. The Select Board will discuss and determine the dollar amount of the exemption for the Means Tested Senior Citizen Property Tax Exemption applications for FY 24.
Supporting Exhibits: Memo
The Select Board adopted the Means-Tested Senior Tax Exemption at 200% of the Calendar Year 2022 Circuit Breaker Income Tax Credit for Fiscal Year 2024. (5-0)
6:50 PM FY 2025 BUDGET CALENDAR AND BUDGET MESSAGE – JOINT MEETING WITH SCHOOL
6. COMMITTEE AND APPROPRIATION COMMITTEE
The Town Manager will seek the Select Board, School Committee, and Appropriation Committee’s affirmation of the FY25 Budget Schedule setting forth calendar dates relating to the development of the FY25 Budget. Further, the Select Board will set and issue the FY25 Budget Message or Policy Statement.
Supporting Exhibits: 1. FY 25 Budget Schedule and Message Development
● The Select Board approved the FY25 Budget Calendar as amended. (5-0)
● The School Committee approved the FY25 Budget Calendar as amended. (4-0)
● The Appropriation Committee approved the FY 25 Budget Calendar as amended. (4-0)
7:10 PM TOWN EMPLOYEE APPOINTMENTS
7. The Select Board will consider confirming the Town Manager’s appointment of:
● Ray Stephenson (current Library substitute) as Senior Library Assistant
● Daniel Boudreau as Adult Services Librarian
Supporting Exhibits: Application & Resumes
● The Select Board confirmed the Town Manager’s appointment of Ray Stephenson as Senior Library Assistant. (5-0)
● The Select Board confirmed the Town Manager’s appointment of Daniel Boudreau as Adult Services Librarian. (5-0)
7:20 PM POLICE DEPARTMENT UPDATE
8. The Select Board and Police Chief will review the following:
a. School Resource Officer Update
b. School Opening Update
c. Promotional Process – Select Board Role
8:00 PM FIRE CHIEF HIRING PROCESS UPDATE
9. The Select Board Chair and Town Manager will report on the Fire Chief Hiring process.
8:10 PM TOWN MANAGER REPORT
10. Town Manager will report on the following:
a. Main Street Corridor Project
b. Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) treatment project
c. Massachusetts Water Resources Authority (MWRA) Southborough Interconnection project
d. PILOT (Payment in Lieu of Taxes) Agreement between the Town of Hopkinton and Baypath Humane Society of Hopkinton, Inc. pertaining to lease of property at 66 Fruit Street – Lease Agreement and PILOT approved by Select Board 6-22-2022; PILOT ready for Board signature.
Supporting Exhibits: Town Manager Report; PILOT Agreement
The Select Board voted to sign the PILOT (Payment in Lieu of Taxes) Agreement between the Town of Hopkinton and Baypath Humane Society of Hopkinton, Inc. pertaining to the lease of property at 66 Fruit St. (5-0)
8:20 PM LIAISON REPORTS/BOARD INVITES
11. Supporting Exhibits: FY 24 Liaison Assignments
8:25 PM FUTURE BOARD AGENDA ITEMS
12. Board members will identify future agenda items.
a. For Oct 3 we will add: Policy on redaction of public survey comments – Ritterbusch (requested 11/1/22) to the agenda
b. For Oct 3 we will add: Strategic Planning Framework – proposed additions/modifications – Mannan (requested Sep 2023)
c. For Oct 3: PD, Youth & Family Services, SD – Overview of SRO Program including supervision and oversight measures
d. For Oct 3: PD Organizational Review Components and Process
e. For 10/17 we will add: Town Clean Water/PFAS Remediation Advisory Council Framework Mannan (requested Sep 2023)
f. For 10/17 we will add: Cemetery Commission Rate Changes
8:30 PM ADJOURN
Correspondence to Select Board
1. 47 East Main St. – Cease & Desist.pdf
2. Letter to Select Board from Cody Normandin
3. Address assignment 290 W. Main & 150 Fruit St.
4. Board of Appeals Public Hearing Notices 7 Stewart St., 147, 0, 0 Hayden Rowe
5. Planning Board Decision – 28 Ash St.
6. Order of Resource Area Delineation issued by Con. Comm. for Elmwood School Replacement Project
Upcoming Select Board Meetings
1. September 20, 2023
2. October 3, 2023
3. October 17, 2023
4. November 14, 2023
Materials for this Meeting:
- Agenda and Meeting Packet 2023-09-19
- YouTube Video – 3 hours 27 minutes
- YouTube Video “Actions Taken” – 12 minutes