Select Board Actions Taken 09/05/23
Agenda Items & Actions Taken:
6:00 PM CALL TO ORDER
1. EXECUTIVE SESSION
a. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a) (purpose 3) to consider strategy with respect to negotiations with the Fire union.
b. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a) (purpose 6) to consider the purchase, lease, sale or value of real estate in relation to properties in the vicinity of Town Hall and South Street, and parcels owned by Umina off Chestnut Street, because an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the negotiating position of the Board;
c. Approval of Executive Session Minutes of August 1, 2023.
6:30 PM CALL TO ORDER – OPEN SESSION
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
6:31 PM PUBLIC FORUM
3. Residents are invited to share ideas, opinions or ask questions regarding Town Government.
6:40 PM CONSENT AGENDA
4. The Select Board will consider the following Consent Agenda:
a. MINUTES – The Select Board will consider approving the Minutes of the August 1 and August 23, 2023 meetings.
b. ACCEPT GIFTS TO THE LIBRARY – The Select Board will consider accepting the following gifts to the Public Library:
● $2,000 from the Public Library Foundation to the Hopkinton Public Library, to be used for the Library of Things.
● $350 from the children of Legacy Farms Lemonade Stand to be used by the Children’s department.
● $10,000 from the Hopkinton Public Library Foundation to be used for sponsoring One Book/One Hopkinton event.
c. ACCEPT GIFT TO THE POLICE DEPARTMENT – The Select Board will consider accepting a gift of $300 from the Fidelity Charitable Donor-Advised Fund to the Police Department.
d. RECORDS ACCESS OFFICER LIST – The Select Board will consider approving a revised list of Records Access Officers pursuant to the Massachusetts Public Records Law.
e. TEMPORARY SANDWICH BOARD SIGN – The Select Board will consider approving a temporary sandwich board sign on West Main St. across from Golden Pond Assisted Living requested by the Hopkinton Women’s Club & Hopkinton Emergency Fund for a charity golf event to be held on September 18th, 2023 which would benefit both organizations. Zoning Bylaw Sec. 210-178.F allows such signs on certain streets subject to approval of the Select Board, provided they do not exceed 20 sq. ft. and are not illuminated.
f. RESIGNATION – The Select Board will consider accepting the resignation of Mary Beth Levoie from the Sustainable Green Committee.
Supporting Exhibits: Records Access Officers List; Letter of request
The Select Board approved Consent Agenda item a, d, e- (5-0)
The Select Board approved Consent Agenda item b, c, f- (5-0)
6:45 PM TROOP 4 EAGLE SCOUT RECOGNITION
5. The Select Board will consider recognizing Ashwath Sridhar for achieving the Eagle Scout rank.
6:55 PM POLICE DEPARTMENT PROMOTIONS
6. The Select Board will consider promoting Detective Gregg Deboer and School Resource Officer Matthew Santoro to the rank of Sergeant, as recommended by Police Chief Joseph Bennett.
Supporting Exhibits: Resumes
The Select Board decided to continue this process at a later date.
7:00 PM TOWN EMPLOYEE APPOINTMENT
7. The Select Board will consider confirming the Town Manager’s promotion of Andrea Conboy to Youth Services Supervisor for the Hopkinton Public Library.
Supporting Exhibits: Application & Resume
The Select Board confirmed the Town Manager’s promotion of Andrea Conboy to Youth Services
Supervisor for the Hopkinton Public Library. (5-0)
7:10 PM APPOINTMENTS – BOARDS AND COMMITTEES
8. The Select Board will consider making appointments to the following boards and committees:
● Conservation Commission – 1 vacancy, term expires 6/30/2024. Applicants: Sam
Sader, Curtis Smithson
● Cultural Council – 2 vacancies, terms expire 3 years from date of appointment.
Applicants: Kenna Sullivan, Nicole Mousad, Sheila Frackleton,
● Board of Appeals – 1 Regular Member vacancy, 1 Associate Member vacancy; terms expire 6/30/2028. Applicants: Anna Dorcey, Daniel Hunt, Michael Heaton, Robert Klocek. The Board may also consider moving a current associate member to the regular member position.
Supporting Exhibits:Applications & Resumes
The Select Board appointed :
● Matthew Moyen to the Conservation Commission to a term expiring on 6/30/2024
● Nicole Mousad to the Cultural Council to a term expiring on 9/5/2026
● Sheila Frackleton to the Cultural Council to a term expiring on 9/5/2026
● Arnold Cohen to the Board of Appeals as a full member to a term expiring on 6/30/2028
The Select Board voted (5-0) to approve the above.
● Daniel Hunt as an associate member to the Board of Appeals to a term expiring on 6/30/2028
● Michael Heaton as an associate member to the Board of Appeals to a term expiring on
The Select Board voted (4-0; 1-Abstention) to approve the above.
7:10 PM KEY SELECT BOARD SEPTEMBER 2023 WORK PROGRAM
9. The Select Board will consider the following matters which constitute its September 2023 work schedule:
a. 2023 SPECIAL TOWN MEETING – The Select Board will review the proposed Special Town Meeting Schedule.
The Select Board voted to approve the proposed Special Town Meeting Schedule (5-0).
b. STRATEGIC PLANNING – ALL HANDS MEETING: The Select Board will review the All-Hands Meeting schedule and process.
c. FY 25 BUDGET CALENDAR: The Select Board will begin its discussion of the FY 25 Budget Calendar and outline its Budget Message expectations.
The Select Board set September 19th, 2023 as the date to set the Budget message.
7:30 PM TOWN MANAGER REPORT
10. Town Manager will report on the following:
a. Main Street Corridor Project
b. Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) treatment project
c. Massachusetts Water Resources Authority (MWRA) Southborough Interconnection project
d. Request for approval of a PILOT (Payment in Lieu of Taxes) Agreement between the Town of Hopkinton and GHTJA04 LLC (Grasshopper) by the Select Board, for personal property at 17 Wilson St., pursuant to the affirmative vote under Article 13 of the 2023 Annual Town Meeting Warrant.
e. 2023 ICMA Annual Conference
f. Executive Session Minutes Release Announcement
Supporting Exhibits: PILOT Agreement
The Select Board approved the PILOT (Payment in Lieu of Taxes) Agreement between the Town of
Hopkinton and GHTJA04 LLC (Grasshopper), for personal property at 17 Wilson St., pursuant to the
affirmative vote under Article 13 of the 2023 Annual Town Meeting Warrant. (5-0)
8:00 PM LIAISON REPORTS/BOARD INVITES
11. Supporting Exhibits: FY 24 Liaison Assignments
8:05 PM FUTURE BOARD AGENDA ITEMS
12. Board members will identify future agenda items.
8:10 PM ADJOURN
Correspondence to Select Board
1. Kristin Turner Email – Elmwood School Project
2. Lucia Lopez Email – Elmwood
3. Sue DeRoche Email – Tax Impact Analysis
4. Community Preservation Committee Funding Application Notice – FY25
5. Board of Health-Order to Cease and Desist Unpermitted Take Out Food Service Operation to Punita Shah, Srinivas Sirigineedi and Soraha Babau
Upcoming Select Board Meetings
1. September 19, 2023
2. September 20, 2023
3. October 3, 2023
4. October 17, 2023
5. November 14, 2023
Materials for this Meeting:
Related News Articles:
- Read “Select Board puts police promotion requests on hold, discusses timeline for Special Town Meeting” by Mary Ellen Gambon in the Hopkinton Independent