Select Board Actions Taken 10/10/23
Agenda Items & Actions Taken:
6:00 PM CALL TO ORDER
1. EXECUTIVE SESSION
a. Pursuant M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a) (purpose 3) to consider strategy with respect to litigation in Cassarino v. Morrissey, Middlesex Superior Court action No. 2381cv01299, because an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the litigating position of the Board.
b. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a) (purpose 3) to consider strategy with respect to negotiations with the Fire union.
c. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a) (purpose 6) to consider the purchase, lease, sale or value of real estate in relation to properties in the vicinity of Town Hall and South Street, and parcels owned by Umina off Chestnut Street, because an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the negotiating position of the Board;
d. Approval of Executive Session Minutes of September 19, 2023.
6:30 PM CALL TO ORDER – OPEN SESSION
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
6:31 PM PUBLIC FORUM
3. Residents are invited to share ideas, opinions or ask questions regarding Town Government.
6:40 PM CONSENT AGENDA
4. The Select Board will consider the following consent agenda:
a. MINUTES – The Select Board will consider approving the Minutes of the September 19, 2023 and October 3, 2023 meetings.
b. ACCEPT GIFTS – The Select Board will consider accepting a gift of $375 from the children of Legacy Farms raised via a lemonade stand, to be used for the children’s department at the Hopkinton Public Library.
c. MARATHON FUND REQUEST – The Select Board will consider approving two Marathon Fund Committee fund requests as follows:
1. $9,000 towards six scholarships to Hopkinton residents graduating from High School in the spring of 2024, valued at $1,500 each.
2. $15,500 towards a project to update the lighting in the main auditorium at the Hopkinton Cultural Arts Center. The total cost of the project is estimated to be $99,000; the remaining funds will be coming from capital fund drive, maintenance fund and grants. The present balance of the fund is $213,912.25.
Supporting Exhibits: Marathon Fund Applications
The Select Board approved the Consent Agenda. (4-0)
6:45 PM APPOINTMENTS – BOARD AND COMMITTEES
5. The Select Board consider making appointments to the following boards and committees:
● Commission on Disability – 1 vacancy (term expiring on June 30th, 2024) Applicant – Praveen Hariharan
● Youth Commission – 3 vacancies (terms expiring 30th June, 2024, 30th June 2025, 30th June, 2026)
Applicant – Qingxu (Thomas) Pan
● Veterans Celebration Committee – 3 vacancies (terms expiring on 30th June 2026)
Applicant – John Cardillo
● Hopkinton Historic District Commission – 2 vacancies (terms expiring on 30th June, 2025)
Applicants – Kevin Munroe
Supporting Exhibits: Applications Submitted
● The Select Board appointed Praveen Harihan to the Commission on Disability, to a term expiring 6/30/2024. (4-0)
● The Select Board appointed Qingxu (Thomas) Pan to the Youth Commission, to a term expiring 6/30/2026. (4-0)
● The Select Board appointed John Cardillo to the Veterans Celebration Committee, to a term expiring 6/30/2026. (4-0)
7:00 PM TOWN EMPLOYEE APPOINTMENT
6. The Select Board will consider confirming the Town Manager’s appointment of Lauren Delello as a full time Grant Coordinator in the Youth & Family Services Department.
Supporting Exhibits: Resume
The Select Board confirmed the Town Manager’s appointment of Lauren Delello as a full time Grant Coordinator in the Youth & Family Services Department. (4-0)
7:05 PM BOARD OF REGISTRARS VACANCIES
7. The Select Board will consider information from the Town Clerk that there are two vacancies on the Board of Registrars that must be filled by Republicans. The vacancies need to be filled quickly or a temporary registrar will need to be appointed to assist in the certification of nomination papers for the Presidential Primary and/or initiative petitions – both need to be certified by at least three registrars next month. Applicants must complete application here: Online application
7:10 PM SPECIAL TOWN MEETING
8. The Select Board will preview articles on the Nov. 13, 2023 Special Town Meeting Warrant.
Supporting Exhibits: Nov. 13, 2023 Special Town Meeting Timeline
7:30 PM FY 2025 BUDGET MESSAGE – JOINT MEETING WITH SCHOOL COMMITTEE AND
9. APPROPRIATION COMMITTEE
The Select Board and the Town Manager will review information and develop a Budget message or Policy Statement with guidance to Town Departments, boards and committees relative to the development of the FY25 Comprehensive Budget. The School Committee and Appropriation Committee are invited to attend.
Supporting Exhibits: 1. FY 25 Budget Schedule and Message Development
The Select Board adopted the FY25 Budget Message as outlined in the Town Manager’s memo dated October 5, 2023. (4-0) See attached memo
8:00 PM TOWN MANAGER FY 24 GOALS
10. The Select Board will consider setting FY24 goals for the Town Manager.
Supporting Exhibits: Town Manager’s FY24 Objectives Summary & Objective
The Select Board approved the Town Manager’s Goals for FY24:
● Ensure the FY25 Budget Development delivers results for all residents through an equitable, inclusive and accountable budget process.
● In collaboration with the Select Board, define, develop and implement a bottom-up strategic plan process for the town.
● Collaborate with Human Resources in empowering and rebuilding our workforce through training and enhanced benefits. (4-0)
8:10 PM POLICE DEPARTMENT UPDATE
11. The Select Board and Police Chief will review the following:
a. Departmental Review – Status Update
b. School Resource Officer – Update
c. Select Board Role in Police Officer Promotion Process
8:30 PM POLICY ON REDACTION OF PUBLIC SURVEY COMMENTS
12. The Select Board will discuss whether to consider a policy on the redaction of certain comments made in public surveys that the Board conducts, and if so, what types of comments should be redacted in survey results made publicly available. The Board may consider the Massachusetts Public Records Law and other guidance in this regard.
LInk: Guide to the Massachusetts Public Records Law
8:40 PM STRATEGIC PLANNING FRAMEWORK
13. The Select Board will consider a framework for developing a Strategic Plan for the Town.
Supporting Exhibits: Proposed Additions & Modifications
8:50 PM TOWN MANAGER REPORT
14. Town Manager will report on the following:
a. Main Street Corridor Project
b. Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) treatment project
c. Massachusetts Water Resources Authority (MWRA) Southborough Interconnection project
d. Town Employee Benefit Enhancements
Supporting Exhibits: Town Manager Report
9:00 PM LIAISON REPORTS/BOARD INVITES
15. Supporting Exhibit: FY 24 Liaison Assignments
9:05 PM FUTURE BOARD AGENDA ITEMS
16. Board members will identify future agenda items.
a. For 10/17 we will add: Town Clean Water/PFAS Remediation Advisory Council Framework Mannan (requested Sep 2023)
b. For 10/17 we will add: Cemetery Commission Rate Changes
Supporting Exhibit: Board Member Future Agenda Items
9:10 PM ADJOURN
Correspondence to Select Board
1. Climate Action Community Drop-In Event on Oct. 11, 6-9 PM, Senior Center
2. Legacy Farms Diwali invite email from Priya Vasudevan
3. Draft charges for trail committees – Email from Peter LaGoy
Upcoming Select Board Meetings
1. October 11, 2023
2. October 17, 2023
3. October 26, 2023 (at School Committee Meeting)
4. November 13, 2023 – Special Town Meeting
Materials for this Meeting:
Related News Articles:
- Read “Select Board roundup: FY 25 budget message calls for level-service funding; police hiring policy discussed“