Select Board Actions Taken 10/17/23
Agenda Items & Actions Taken:
6:00 PM CALL TO ORDER
1. EXECUTIVE SESSION
a. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a) (purpose 3) to consider strategy with respect to negotiations with the Fire union.
b. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a) (purpose 6) to consider the purchase, lease, sale or value of real estate in relation to properties in the vicinity of Town Hall and South Street, and parcels owned by Umina off Chestnut Street, because an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the negotiating position of the Board;
c. Approval of Executive Session Minutes of October 10, 2023.
6:30 PM CALL TO ORDER – OPEN SESSION
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
6:31 PM PUBLIC FORUM
3. Residents are invited to share ideas, opinions or ask questions regarding Town Government.
6:40 PM CONSENT AGENDA
4. The Select Board will consider the following consent agenda:
a. ACCEPT GIFTS – The Select Board will consider accepting the following donations to the Fire Department in the memory of George Thorsen Jr.: 1) Tom’s Auto Body $200; 2) Diane & Joe Regan $100; 3) Michael Daley $50; 4) Judith Prior $100.
The Select Board approved the Consent Agenda. (5-0)
6:45 PM APPOINTMENTS – BOARDS AND COMMITTEES
5. The Select Board consider making appointments to the following boards and committees:
● Sustainable Green Committee – 2 vacancies, terms ending June 30, 2026.
Applicants: Carol Esler, Nicole Mousad, Thomas Donahue, Poorvi Tikoo
● Veterans Celebration Committee – 2 vacancies. Terms ending June 30, 2026.
Applicants: Mike Whalen
● Youth Commission – 2 vacancies, terms ending June 30, 2024 and June 30, 2025.
Applicants: Will Schofield
Supporting Exhibits: Applications Submitted
● The Select Board appointed Mike Whalen to the Veterans Celebration Committee, to a term expiring 6/30/2026. (5-0)
● The Select Board appointed Will Schofield to the Youth Commission, to a term expiring 6/30/2025. (5-0)
● The Select Board appointed Carol Esler and Poorvi Tikoo to the Sustainable Green Committee, to terms expiring 6/30/2026. (5-0)
6:55 PM NEW POLICE OFFICER
6. The Select Board will interview and consider appointing Brian Ziniti as a Police Officer in the Town of Hopkinton.
Supporting Exhibits: Resume & Application Material
The Select Board appointed Brian Ziniti as a Police Officer for the Town of Hopkinton. (5-0)
7:10 PM POLICE DEPARTMENT UPDATE
7. The Select Board and Police Chief will review the following:
a. Departmental Review – Status Update
b. School Resource Officer – Update
7:30 PM POLICE CHIEF GOALS
8. The Select Board will consider setting FY24 goals for the Police Chief.
Supporting Exhibits: FY 24 Goals
7:45 PM SPECIAL TOWN MEETING
9. The Select Board will consider the list of articles on the Nov. 13, 2023 Special Town Meeting warrant, and consider submitting articles as needed. The warrant closes Oct. 18, 2023. The Select Board will consider setting ballot questions for the Special Town Election on Nov. 28, 2023.
Supporting Exhibits: Special Town Meeting 2023
● The Select Board submitted an article into the Special Town Meeting warrant to acquire land in the vicinity of South St. for open space purposes. (5-0)
● The Select Board submitted an article into the Special Town Meeting warrant to acquire land for parking in the vicinity of Town Hall. (5-0)
● The Select Board approved the ballot question for the Elmwood Elementary project for the Nov. 28, 2023 special election. (5-0)
8:10 PM STRATEGIC PLANNING FRAMEWORK/SELECT BOARD GOALS
10. The Select Board will consider a framework for developing a Strategic Plan for the Town and the FY24 Select Board goals.
Supporting Exhibits: Proposed Additions & Modifications
8:20 PM TOWN MANAGER REPORT
11. Town Manager will report on the following:
a. Main Street Corridor Project
b. Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) treatment project
c. Massachusetts Water Resources Authority (MWRA) Southborough Interconnection project
Supporting Exhibits: Town Manager Report
8:30 PM LIAISON REPORTS/BOARD INVITES
12. Supporting Exhibit: FY 24 Liaison Assignments
8:35 PM FUTURE BOARD AGENDA ITEMS
13. Board members will identify future agenda items.
● For 10/17 we will add: Town Clean Water/PFAS Remediation Advisory Council Framework Mannan (requested Sep 2023)
Supporting Exhibit: Board Member Future Agenda Items
8:40 PM ADJOURN
Correspondence to Select Board
1. Promotional Process Policy- Email from Cody Normandin
2. Water issues- Email from Christopher VanDeusen
3. Water this morning- 10-11-2023 Email from Christopher VanDeusen
4. Notice of Decision-7 Stewart St.
5. Notification to Abutters by Conservation Commission -5 Constitution Court
6. Findings & Decisions- 147 Hayden Rowe
Upcoming Select Board Meetings
- October 26, 2023
- November 13, 2023 – Special Town Meeting
- November 14, 2023
- November 28, 2023
Materials for this Meeting:
- Agenda and Meeting Packet 10/17/23
- YouTube Video – 1 hour 49 minutes (full meeting)
- Actions Taken YouTube Video (7 minutes)
Related News Articles:
- Read “Select Board appoints new police officer, reviews HPD goals” by Mary Ellen Gambon in the Hopkinton Independent