Growth Study Committee Vacancies
The Planning Board is seeking residents interested in serving on the Growth Study Committee for three (3) at-large positions, apply by July 5. The mission statement of the Growth Study Committee and the anticipated deliverables are detailed below:
Hopkinton is endowed with open space, natural resources, facilities and programs that promote a well-educated and healthy community. The mission of this project, utilizing public input, analytics, and objective experts, is to examine growth trends and development within the Town of Hopkinton and identify and recommend actions to ensure Hopkinton can continue to support its citizens throughout their lives to the highest of standards in education, public safety, health, and protection of natural resources.
Specifically, the project aims to:
- Proactively manage growth;
- Enable better planning for town services;
- Identify parcels or zones that may have a significant impact on future growth patterns within the Town create plans to ensure continued use that is in the best interest of Hopkinton; and
- Decrease likelihood of un-friendly 40B developments.
Deliverables shall include:
- Summary of public input collected throughout the project;
- Financial impact assessment of growth (residential and commercial) over the past 10 years (by zoned area);
- Forecast model of growth and financial impact (forward looking) by zoned area over the next 10 years;
- Identification and prioritization of current parcels and/or zones with highest potential for growth/change. Recommend optimal land uses/practices for each and contingency plans if alternative uses are proposed; and
- Create POA (Plan of Action) that incorporates major stakeholders (other boards, town leadership, etc.) and includes cadence and deliverables for ongoing growth monitoring.
The Planning Board is looking forward to appointing an energized and diverse field of applicants that may be new to government or new to Hopkinton and also those with deep ties to the community, as well as those representing varied parts of Town and different demographic constituency groups. Interviews will be conducted at the July 8, 2019 Planning Board meeting and applicants are highly encouraged to attend.
Those interested in applying should send a letter of interest to John Gelcich, Principal Planner (firstname.lastname@example.org), 18 Main Street, Hopkinton, MA 01748 by
5:00 PM on July 5, 2019 12:00 PM on August 9, 2019. Email is preferred. This letter should contain a statement that is 250 words or less and includes the following:
- Why you are interested in serving on this committee;
- How you are uniquely qualified to serve in this position; and
- What you look to achieve as a member of this committee.
Letters of interest should note the position for which it is being submitted. For more information, please call John Gelcich at (508) 497-9745.