Select Board Actions Taken 04/06/21
Agenda Items & Actions Taken:
6:00 PM CALL TO ORDER
1. EXECUTIVE SESSION
i. To consider approval of Executive Session Minutes of 3/16/2021.
ii. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a) (Purpose 3) to consider strategy with respect to collective bargaining relative to DPW, Police, Fire and Library Unions, because an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the negotiating position of the Board.
iii Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a)(3), executive session to discuss strategy for an Open Meeting Law complaint concerning the March 2, 2021 Select Board meeting and Main Street Corridor Project, because discussing the same in open session would have a detrimental effect on the Town’s litigation strategy.
6:30 PM CALL TO ORDER – OPEN SESSION
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
6:31 PM PUBLIC FORUM
3. Residents are invited to share ideas, opinions or ask questions regarding Town Government.
6:40 PM COVID-19 UPDATE
4. The Select Board will receive an update on the Town’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic.
6:45 PM PUBLIC HEARING – STARTLINE BREWING COMPANY, 151R HAYDEN ROWE – ALTERATION OF PREMISES, CHAPTER 19C(i)(n) FARMER – BREWERY SERIES POURING LICENSE
5. The Select Board will hold a public hearing on the application of Startline Brewing Co. to amend the alcohol license so as to allow for an increase in the area for permanent outdoor seating to accommodate 80 additional seats within the existing exterior walls of the building.
The Select Board approved the application for an alteration of premises to increase the area for permanent outdoor seating for Startline Brewing, as proposed. (5-0)
7:00 PM CONSENT AGENDA
6. i. MINUTES – The Select Board will consider approving the Minutes of the March 16, 2021 and March 23, 2021 meetings.
ii. GIFT – The Select Board will consider accepting a $100 gift to the Fire Department from Tom and Marie Hegarty, 6 Lucia Dr., Milford, MA, as thank you for the courteous manner exhibited at the recent Town vaccine clinics, and the hard work, dedication and sacrifices made.
The Select Board approved the Consent Agenda. (5-0)
7:01 PM RECOGNITIONS – GIRL SCOUT GOLD AWARDS AND EAGLE SCOUT RANK
7. The Select Board will consider recognizing recent recipients of:
i. Girl Scout Gold Awards: Sammy Altman, Catharine Barry, Holly A. Burns, Megan Murchie and Julianna M. Lucas.
ii. Eagle Scout Rank: Ellora Hoyt
7:15 PM BOARD/COMMITTEE APPOINTMENTS
8. The Select Board will consider making the following board/committee appointments:
i. Gale Levine to the Council on Aging, term expiring 6/30/2021;
ii. Jack Nealon to the Affordable Housing Trust Fund Board, term expiring 6/30/2022;
iii. Xue (Kathy) Yang to the Sustainable Green Committee, term expiring 6/30/2023.
● The Select Board appointed Gale Levine to the Council on Aging, to a term expiring 6/30/2021. (5-0)
● The Select Board appointed Jack Nealon to the Affordable Housing Trust Fund Board, to a term expiring 6/30/2022. (5-0)
● The Select Board appointed Xue (Kathy) Yang to the Sustainable Green Committee, to a term expiring 6/30/2023. (5-0)
7:20 PM 2021 ANNUAL TOWN MEETING WARRANT; SPECIAL TOWN MEETING
9. The Select Board will review the draft May 8, 2021 Annual Town Meeting Warrant, consider taking positions on certain warrant articles, discuss and finalize any ballot questions, and review draft motions.
● ATM warrant articles on which the Board may take positions are: Acceptance of Town Reports, FY 21 Supplemental Appropriations & Transfers, Unpaid Bills from Previous Fiscal Years, Excess Bond Premium, Set the Salary of Elected Officials, FY 22 Operating Budget, Parks & Recreation Revolving Funds, FY 22 Revolving Funds
Spending Limits, Consumer Price Index for Property Tax Exemptions, Chapter 90 Highway Funds, , Other Post Employment Benefits Liability Trust Fund, Transfer from the General Stabilization Fund, Transfer from the School Department Stabilization Fund to the General Fund, Transfer from the Capital Stabilization Fund, Parks &
Recreation Enterprise Fund, Pay As You Go Capital Expenses, Marathon School Addition, School HVAC Renewal and Digital Control Upgrade, Hopkins & Middle School Roof Replacement, Police Station Roof Replacement, Center School Renovation Feasibility/Schematic Design Study, Pratt Farm Well Field, Grove Street Chlorine Injection, Alprilla Farm Well, Water Main Replacement – Woody Island Rd., Inflow and Infiltration Investigation, Vehicle Replacement (Sewer Dept.), Community Preservation Funds, Community Preservation Recommendations, 148 Lumber Street, Teresa Road to Hughes Farm Trail.
● Ballot question language will be reviewed for the following Articles: Marathon School Addition, School HVAC Renewal and Digital Control Upgrade, Hopkins & Middle School Roof Replacement, Police Station Roof Replacement.
The Select Board will consider calling a Special Town Meeting within the May 8, 2021 Annual Town Meeting, and if so voted, consider opening the warrant for the Special Town Meeting, and closing the warrant on April 17, 2021.
● The Select Board approved 4 ballot questions for the Annual Town Election, for the following Annual Town Meeting Articles: #18 Marathon School Addition, #19 School HVAC Renewal and Digital Control Upgrade, #20 Hopkins & Middle School Roof Replacement, #21 Police Station Roof Replacement. (5-0)
● The Select Board voted to recommend approval of Annual Town Meeting articles 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 44 and 45. (5-0) *See below for article reference information.
● The Select Board called a Special Town Meeting for May 8, 2021, and voted to open the Special Town Meeting warrant on April 6, 2021 and to close the warrant on April 17, 2021. (5-0)
7:30 PM OPEN MEETING LAW COMPLAINT
10. The Select Board will discuss an Open Meeting Law complaint concerning the March 2, 2021 Select Board meeting and Main Street Corridor Project.
The Select Board found that there has not been a violation of the Open Meeting Law and therefore, no remedial action is required; and to authorize the Town Manager and Town Counsel to formally notify the complainant and the Attorney General of this determination. (5-0)
7:35 PM TOWN MANAGER REPORT
11. i. Main Street Corridor Project Update
ii. Hiring Freeze Exception- Assistant Senior Services Director and Outreach Coordinator: The Select Board will consider the Town Manager’s recommendation to grant a hiring freeze exception to fill the Assistant Senior Services Director and Outreach Coordinator positions.
iii. 2021 Boston Marathon Invitational Waiver Process and Policy: The Select Board will review and set the 2021 Boston Marathon Invitational process.
● The Select Board granted a hiring freeze exception to allow the hiring of an Assistant Senior Services Director and an Outreach Coordinator. (5-0)
● The Select Board approved the 2021 Boston Marathon Invitational Waiver process. (5-0)
Correspondence to Select Board:
- 1. Chapter 91 License Application – I-90/I-495 Interchange
- 2. Invitation – Creating a Cultural District
- 3. Planning Board Public Hearing Notice – Zoning
- 4. Board of Appeals Decisions – 1 Woody Island Rd., 116 Hayden Rowe
- 5. Board of Appeals Public Hearing Notice – 116 Hayden Rowe
- 6. Marshall Ave. Correspondence: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1Cp2T8MN8Sz3E1DKWzXdJg0q9ro_T7O4K
Materials for this Meeting:
Related News Articles:
- Read “Health director: Town in midst of COVID surge, with positivity rate over state average, youngsters hit hardest“
- Read “Select Board roundup: Girl Scouts honored for community projects; Start Line Brewing expansion OK’d; Open Meeting Law complaint addressed“