Select Board Actions Taken 05/18/21
Agenda Items & Actions Taken:
6:00 PM CALL TO ORDER
1. EXECUTIVE SESSION
i. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a) (Purpose 3) to consider strategy with respect to collective bargaining relative to DPW, Police, Fire and Library Unions, and negotiations with non-union staff Town Manager, Fire Chief and Police Chief because an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the negotiating position of the Board.
ii. To approve executive session Minutes (4/6/2021, 4/13/2021, 5/4/2021)
6:10 PM CALL TO ORDER – OPEN SESSION
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
6:11 PM PUBLIC FORUM
3. Residents are invited to share ideas, opinions or ask questions regarding Town Government.
6:20 PM NEW EMPLOYEE INTRODUCTION
4. The Select Board and the community will meet Kimberly Ciaramicoli, who has been appointed to the Conservation Administrator position by the Conservation Commission.
6:25 PM CONSENT AGENDA
5. i. MINUTES – The Select Board will consider approving the Minutes of the 4/29/2021,5/4/2021 and 5/8/2021 meetings.
ii. G.L. c.268A DISCLOSURE FORM REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF 20(b) EXEMPTIONS –
1. The Select Board will review a G.L. c.268A Disclosure Form and consider approving a 20(b) exemption to allow the hiring of the Renee Cooprider, a municipal employee (School Dept.), who seeks to provide personal services to a municipal agency (Youth & Family Services Department), as a Temporary per diem Counselor. The Human Resources Department recommends the hiring of Ms. Cooprider for this position.
2. The Select Board will review G.L. c.268A Disclosure Forms and consider approving 20(b) exemptions to allow the hiring of the following municipal employees of the School Dept. who seek to provide personal services to a municipal agency (Parks & Recreation Dept.), for Seasonal Summer Sports Clinics:
● Thomas Keane- Basketball Clinic Program Director
● Jean Cann- Track & Field Clinic Program Director
● Michael Greco- Basketball Clinic Assistant Director
● Mark Sanborn- Basketball Clinic Coach
● Gregory Romanko- Basketball Clinic Coach
● Christopher Banks- Basketball Clinic Coach
● Jessica Zwillinger- Basketball Clinic Coach
● John Golden- Basketball Clinic Coach
● Chancey Gaudette- Basketball Clinic Coach
● William Collins- Basketball Clinic Coach
The Human Resources Department recommends the hiring of these individuals for the Seasonal Summer Sports Clinics.
iii. WAIVER OF BUILDING PERMIT FEES – The Select Board will consider the request of the Hopkinton Center for the Arts (HCA), for the grant of a waiver of building permit fees for the HCA’s Terry Farmhouse renovation project, as it is a Town property.
The Select Board approved the Consent Agenda. (5-0)
6:30 PM PARADE PERMIT APPLICATION – HHS GRADUATING SENIOR CAR PARADE
6. The Select Board will consider approving a Parade Permit for the Hopkinton High School Graduating Senior Car Parade on Saturday, June 5, 2021.
The Select Board approved a Parade Permit for the HHS Graduating Senior Car Parade on June 5, 2021. (5-0)
6:35 PM TRAIL COORDINATION & MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE – PRATT FARM PROPERTY
7. The Select Board will consider discussing the the installation of trail signs and kiosks on the Pratt Farm Property. The property is under the jurisdiction of the Select Board.
The Select Board authorized the Trail Coordination and Management Committee to install trail signs, markers and kiosks on the Pratt Farm Property. (5-0)
6:40 PM HOPKINTON CENTER FOR THE ARTS REQUEST FOR EXCEPTION TO LEASE ADDENDUM,
8. 98 HAYDEN ROWE, TO PERMIT OUTDOOR ALCOHOL SERVICE AT HCA EVENTS
The Select Board will consider a request from the Hopkinton Center for the Arts for an exception to the lease addendum which would allow alcohol service outside at HCA events. Consumption of alcohol would end one half hour prior to the end of the event.
The Select Board authorized Town Counsel and the Town Manager to draft a new lease addendum for consideration which would allow alcohol service outdoors in designated areas for this season only, and to prepare for a public hearing on this matter. (5-0)
6:45 PM APPLICATIONS TO TRANSFER SECTION 15 PACKAGE STORE ALCOHOL LICENSES
9. The Select Board will review applications for the transfer ownership, but not location, of the following Section 15 Package Store Alcohol licenses:
i. Hopkinton Friendly Services, 92 West Main St. Hopkinton – Transfer from Hopkinton Friendly Service to Global Montello Group Corp. d/b/a Mobil Mart Hopkinton.
ii. Hopkinton Wine & Spirits, 77 West main St. Hopkinton – Transfer from RKY-HPTK Corp. to Jai Shiv Om Kara Inc, d/b/a Hopkinton Wine & Spirits.
6:50 PM 2021 BOSTON MARATHON INVITATIONAL RANDOM DISTRIBUTION
10. The Select Board will hold a public random distribution of Marathon Invitational Entries to qualified applicants for the 2021 Boston Marathon.
The Select Board voted to distribute Marathon Invitational Entries as follows: (5-0)
- Hopkinton Police Department (10)
- Hopkinton Fire Department (1)
- Hopkinton Senior Center (1)
- Hopkinton Marathon Committee (5)
- Veterans Celebration Committee (1)
- Veterans Grave Officer (1)
- Tax Relief Committee (1)
- One (1) to each of the following:
- Baypath Humane Society
- The Michael Lisnow Respite Center
- Project Just Because
- National Brain Tumor Society
- Hopkinton Garden Club
- Hopkinton Women’s Club
- Hopkinton Lions Club
- Demons Youth Hockey Association
- Mental Health Collaborative, Inc.
- Hopkinton High School Class of 2023
- Friends of Hopkinton SEPAC (formerly Friends of Hopkinton SPEAC)
- Hopkinton Education Foundation
- Hopkinton PTO
- HHS BPA + Robotics
- Dignity Matters
- Hopkinton Girls Youth Lacrosse
- Hopkinton Boys Youth Lacrosse
- Canty’s Underdog Scholarship Fund Inc.
- Hopkinton Middle School
- Hopkinton Emergency Fund
- Hopkinton Little League
- Friends of the Hopkinton Senior Center
- Friends Of Hopkinton, Inc.
- Hopkinton Public Library/Friends, Inc.
- Hopkinton Public Library Foundation, Inc.
- LIVE4EVAN INC.
- The 18th Annual Sharon Timlin Memorial 5K (Angel Fund)
- KeepSmilin4Abbie Foundation
- Hopkinton Historical Society
7:00 PM APPOINTMENTS – ELEMENTARY SCHOOL BUILDING COMMITTEE #2
11. The Select Board will consider interviewing and appointing members of the Elementary School Building Committee #2.
7:20 PM TOWN MANAGER, POLICE CHIEF, AND FIRE CHIEF PERFORMANCE EVALUATIONS
12. The Select Board will conduct the FY 21 annual reviews of the Town Manager, Police Chief and Fire Chief.
- The Select Board completed the performance evaluation of Joseph Bennett, Police Chief, forwarded the document to the Human Resources Director for completion, and authorized the Chair to sign the final document. (5-0)
- The Select Board completed the performance evaluation of Stephen Slaman, Fire Chief, forwarded the document to the Human Resources Director for completion, and authorized the Chair to sign the final document. (4-1)
- The Select Board completed the performance evaluation of Norman Khumalo, Town Manager, forwarded the document to the Human Resources Director for completion, and authorized the Chair to sign the final document. (5-0)
7:40 PM TOWN MANAGER REPORT
13. i. Main Street Corridor Project Update
ii. Hiring Freeze Exception- Finance Administrative Assistant and Deputy Assessor: The Select Board will consider the Town Manager’s recommendation to grant a hiring freeze exception to fill the Finance Administrative Assistant and Deputy Assessor positions in the Finance Department.
The Select Board approved hiring freeze exceptions to fill the Finance Administrative Assistant and Deputy Assessor positions in the Finance Department. (5-0)
7:45 PM LIAISON REPORTS/BOARD INVITES
14. Supporting Exhibits: FY 21 Liaison Assignments
7:50 PM FUTURE BOARD AGENDA ITEMS
15. Board members will identify future agenda items.
7:55 PM ADJOURN
Correspondence to Select Board
1. 8-18 Avenue E, Hopkinton – Permanent Solution with No Conditions, Revised
2. Route 90 Westbound Onramp – Permanent Solution Statement
3. Verizon Fios TV Notification