Select Board Actions Taken 11/09/21
Agenda Items & Actions Taken:
6:00 PM CALL TO ORDER
1. EXECUTIVE SESSION
a. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a) (purpose 3) to consider strategy with respect to collective bargaining relative to DPW, Police, Fire and Library Unions, because an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the negotiating position of the Board.
b. To approve executive session Minutes (9/21/2021).
6:30 PM CALL TO ORDER – OPEN SESSION
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
6:31 PM PUBLIC FORUM
3. Residents are invited to share ideas, opinions or ask questions regarding Town Government.
6:40 PM CONSENT AGENDA
4. The Select Board will consider the following consent agenda:
a. MINUTES – The Select Board will consider approving the Minutes of the October 19, 2021 meeting.
The Select Board approved the Consent Agenda. (5-0)
6:41 PM BOARDS/COMMITTEES & OFFICIALS – APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
5. The Select Board will consider:
a. Making appointments to the following boards and committees:
● AFFORDABLE HOUSING TRUST FUND BOARD: Two vacancies, terms expiring 6/30/2023 – Applicant: Nisha Nanaware-kharade
● BOARD OF APPEALS: One full member vacancy, term expiring 6/30/2024 – Applicant: James Burton
● COUNCIL ON AGING: One associate member vacancy, term expiring 6/30/2024 – Applicant: Sandra Story
● CULTURAL COUNCIL: One vacancy, term expiring 11/9/2024 – Applicant: Ekaterina Naumova
● HOPKINTON HISTORIC DISTRICT COMMISSION: At-large vacancy, term expiring 6/30/2024 – Applicant: Patrick Fagan
● SUSTAINABLE GREEN COMMITTEE: One vacancy, term expiring 6/30/2024 – Applicants: Linda Chuss, Carly Seidewand Eppley
● VETERANS CELEBRATION COMMITTEE: 3 vacancies, terms expiring 6/30/2024 – Applicant: Nasiba Mannan
b. The request of the Historical Commission to move Beth Watson from full member to associate member (associate member term expiring 6/30/2023) and Kevin Mccaffrey from associate member to full member (full member term expiring 6/30/2022).
c. Confirming the Town Manager’s appointment of Ed Harrow as Fence Viewer, to a term expiring 6/30/2022.
d. Accepting the resignations of Dawn Ronan and Andrea Krammes from the Youth Commission.
The Select Board appointed: (5-0)
- Nisha Nanaware-Kharade to the Affordable Housing Trust Fund Board, to a term expiring 6/30/2023;
- James Burton as a full member of the Board of Appeals, to a term expiring 6/30/2024;
- Sandra Story as an associate member of the Council on Aging, to a term expiring 6/30/2024;
- Ekaterina Naumova to the Cultural Council, to a term expiring 11/9/2024;
- Patrick Fagan to the Hopkinton Historic District Commission, to a term expiring 6/30/2024;
- Nasiba Mannan to the Veterans Celebration Committee, to a term expiring 6/30/2024.
The Select Board appointed Linda Chuss to the Sustainable Green Committee, to a term expiring
The Select Board confirmed the Town Manager’s appointment of Ed Harrow as Fence Viewer, to a term
expiring 6/30/2022. (5-0)
The Select Board accepted the resignations of Dawn Ronan and Andrea Krammes from the Youth
6:50 PM COVID-19 UPDATE
6. The Select Board will receive an update on the Town’s response to the Covid-19 Pandemic.
6:55 PM ADVANCE OF FUNDS IN LIEU OF BORROWING
7. The Select Board will consider the request of the Treasurer/Collector to authorize an Advance of Funds in Lieu of Borrowing in the amount of $900,000 for the Hayden Rowe Street Water Main Replacement project, which was approved at the 5/2/2016 Annual Town Meeting (ATM). The advance will support the completion of the project, with the borrowing to occur in the spring of 2022. The ATM article authorized borrowing of $1.6 million, $700,000 of which has been borrowed to date.
The Select Board approved an advance of funds in lieu of borrowing in the amount of $900,000 in
connection with the Hayden Rowe Water Main Replacement approved in Article 20 of the May 2, 2016
Annual Town Meeting. (5-0)
7:00 PM MEANS TESTED SENIOR CITIZEN PROPERTY TAX EXEMPTION – FY 22
8. The Select Board will discuss and determine the dollar amount of the exemption for the Means Tested Senior Citizen Property Tax Exemption applications for FY 22.
The Select Board adopted exemptions at 200% of the calendar year 2020 Circuit Breaker Income Tax
Credit for fiscal year 2022. (5-0)
7:05 PM SELECT BOARD GOAL SETTING
9. The Select Board will review the goals and priorities discussed at previous meetings and consider completing its goal setting process.
7:15 PM TOWN BOARDS AND COMMITTEES DIVERSITY – BASELINE
10. The Select Board will initiate a review of diversity on Town boards and committees.
7:25 PM TOWN MANAGER REPORT
11. Town Manager will report on the following topics and the Select Board will consider acting on certain items as noted:
i. Main Street Corridor Update
ii. FY 23 Budget Update
iii. BAA Invitational Entry Policy for Select Board Approval
iv. Tree Management Update
v. Ch. 61A Notice of Intent – Conversion of Use – 0 & 5 Mechanic St. & 0 Wood St. – Letter of non-exercise of the Town’s right of first refusal for Board signature
The Select Board approved the BAA Invitational Entry Policy for the 2022 Boston Marathon. (5-0)
The Select Board signed a Notice of Non Exercise of the Town’s Right of First Refusal pursuant to MGL
Ch. 61A Sec. 14, to John and Pamela Larter relative to property at 0 & 5 Mechanic St. and 0 Wood St.
7:35 PM LIAISON REPORTS/BOARD INVITES
12. Supporting Exhibit: FY 22 Liaison Assignments
7:40 PM FUTURE BOARD AGENDA ITEMS
13. Board members will identify future agenda items.
7:45 PM ADJOURN
Correspondence to Select Board
1. Public Hearing Notice – 7 Meserve St.
2. Email – Chamber of Commerce Update Regarding EDC Position 10-21-21
3. Email – Hopkinton School Mask Policy-Physician in the Community 10-21-21
4. Memo – Board of Library Trustees Resignation, Stanley Pulnik
5. Memo – Town Moderator Resignation, Tom Garabedian