Select Board Actions Taken 11/07/23
Agenda Items & Actions Taken:
6:00 PM CALL TO ORDER
1. EXECUTIVE SESSION
a. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a) (purpose 3) to consider strategy with respect to negotiations with the Fire union.
b. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a) (purpose 6) to consider the purchase, lease, sale or value of real estate in relation to properties in the vicinity of Town Hall and South Street, and parcels owned by Umina off Chestnut Street, because an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the negotiating position of the Board;
c. Approval of Executive Session Minutes of October 17, 2023.
6:30 PM CALL TO ORDER – OPEN SESSION
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
6:31 PM PUBLIC FORUM
3. Residents are invited to share ideas, opinions or ask questions regarding Town Government.
6:40 PM CONSENT AGENDA
4. The Select Board will consider the following consent agenda:
a. MINUTES – The Select Board will consider approving the Minutes of the October 26, 2023 meeting.
b. ACCEPT GIFTS – The Select Board will consider accepting a $200 donation to the Public Library, from the Women’s Club for the purchase of financial planning books for women.
c. MARATHON FUND REQUEST APPLICATIONS – The Select Board will consider approving two Marathon Fund Committee fund requests as follows:
1) $3,017 requested by Hopkinton Track and Cross Country Teams to buy a tent to be used at away/invitational meets.
2) $4,536 requested by Hopkinton High School Track Teams (Winter & Spring) to purchase 8 new starting blocks and a storage cart to hold the blocks.
3) RESIGNATION – The Select Board will consider accepting a resignation from Navdeep Arora from the Planning Board.
Supporting Exhibits: Marathon Fund Applications
The Select Board approved the Consent Agenda. (4-0)
6:45 PM TAX CLASSIFICATION HEARING
5. The Select Board will hold a public hearing to determine the percentage of local tax levy to be borne by each class of real and personal property, in accordance with M.G.L. Chapter 40 Section 56.
Supporting Exhibits: Tax Classification Documents
● The Select Board voted not to implement an Open Space Discount for 2024. (4-0)
● The Select Board voted not to implement a Residential Exemption for 2024. (4-0)
● The Select Board voted not to implement a Small Commercial Exemption for 2024. (4-0)
● The Select Board voted not to implement a residential factor for 2024. (4-0)
● The Select Board voted to implement a Single Tax Rate for 2024. (4-0)
● The Select Board voted to approve the form LA5 as presented. (4-0)
7:00 PM TOWN EMPLOYEE APPOINTMENTS
6. The Select Board will consider confirming the Town Manager’s appointment of:
● Laurie St. John, Administrative Assistant, Land Use
● Holly Morand, Resource Counselor/Case Manager, Youth & Family Services
● Maureen McKeon, Procurement and Grants Manager Supporting Exhibits: Application Materials
● The Select Board confirmed the Town Manager’s appointment of Laurie St. John as Administrative Assistant, Land Use Dept. (4-0)
● The Select Board confirmed the Town Manager’s appointment of Maureen McKeon, Procurement and Grants Manager. (4-0)
● The Select Board confirmed the Town Manager’s appointment of Holly Morand as Resource Counselor/Case Manager, Youth & Family Services Dept. (4-0)
7:15 PM APPOINTMENTS – BOARDS AND COMMITTEES
7. The Select Board will consider making the following appointments to Boards and Committees:
● Board of Registrars-1 Vacancy (Republican; nominee of the Hopkinton Republican Town Committee) with a term ending on February 1st, 2025; Nominees – Kenneth Weismantel and James Mirabile
Supporting Exhibits: Applications Submitted
The Select Board appointed Ken Weismantel to the Board of Registrars, to a term expiring 2/1/2025. (3-1)
7:25 PM VOLUNTEER RECOGNITION
8. The Select Board will recognize residents Kathy Gooley and Jack Palitsch, who have been nominated for recognition of their volunteer service to the community.
Supporting Exhibits: Volunteer Recognition – Kathy Gooley, Jack Palitsch
7:40 PM 2024 BOSTON MARATHON INVITATIONAL ENTRY POLICY
9. The Select Board will review and set the 2024 Boston Marathon Invitational Entry Policy. Supporting Exhibits: 2024 Boston Marathon Invitational Entry Policy
The Select Board approved the 2024 Boston Marathon Invitational Entry Policy as amended. (4-0)
8:00 PM ANNUAL TOWN MEETING
10. The Select Board will consider discussing its potential May 6, 2024 Annual Town Meeting articles, including any General Bylaw changes.
Supporting Exhibits: Annual Town Meeting Timeline
8:10 PM SPECIAL TOWN MEETING
11. The Select Board will review the Nov. 13, 2023 Special Town Meeting motions and take any related actions. The Select Board will consider its presentations and materials.
Supporting Exhibits: Special Town Meeting Warrant and Motions
The Select Board voted to recommend approval of Article 4 on the Special Town Meeting Warrant. (4-0)
8:30 PM PROPOSED CHANGES TO THE MARATHON FUND REQUEST FORM
12. The Select Board will review and discuss the Chair’s proposed modifications to the Marathon Fund Request Form used by the Marathon Fund Committee. Supporting Exhibits: Proposed Form
8:45 PM TOWN MANAGER REPORT
13. Town Manager will report on the following:
a. Main Street Corridor Project
b. Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) treatment project
c. Massachusetts Water Resources Authority (MWRA) Southborough Interconnection project
d. Municipal Aggregation Update Supporting Exhibits: Town Manager Report
8:55 PM LIAISON REPORTS/BOARD INVITES
14. Supporting Exhibit: FY 24 Liaison Assignments
9:00 PM FUTURE BOARD AGENDA ITEMS
15. ● Town Clean Water/PFAS Remediation Advisory Council Framework -Mannan (requested Sep 2023)
● Town Economic Development Advisory Council- Mannan
● LNG Plant Oversight and Advisory Committee- Mannan
9:05 PM ADJOURN
Correspondence to Select Board
1. Email from Dave Roberts – Pedestrian Crossing at Town Hall
2. Board of Appeals Public Hearing Notice – 30 West Main St., 0 West Main St., 0 Elm St.
Upcoming Select Board Meetings
1. November 13, 2023 (Special Town Meeting)
2. December 5, 2023
3. December 19, 2023
Materials for this Meeting:
Related News Articles:
- Read “Select Board welcomes new town staff members, recognizes volunteers” by Mary Ellen Gambon in the Hopkinton Independent.
- Read “Select Board encourages residents to attend Monday’s STM early; Boston Marathon fundraising minimum debated” by Mary Ellen Gambon in the Hopkinton Independent.