Select Board Actions Taken 12/07/21
Agenda Items & Actions Taken:
6:00 PM CALL TO ORDER
1. EXECUTIVE SESSION
a. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.30A, §21(a) (purpose 3) to consider strategy with respect to collective bargaining relative to DPW, Police, Fire and Library Unions because an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the negotiating position of the Board.
b. To approve executive session Minutes (9/21/2021, 11/9/2021).
6:30 PM CALL TO ORDER – OPEN SESSION
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
6:31 PM PUBLIC FORUM
3. Residents are invited to share ideas, opinions or ask questions regarding Town Government.
6:40 PM CONSENT AGENDA
4. The Select Board will consider the following consent agenda:
a. MINUTES – The Select Board will consider approving the Minutes of the meetings on November 9, 2021 and November 16, 2021.
The Select Board approved the Consent Agenda. (5-0)
6:45 PM PUBLIC HEARING – SECTION 15 ALL ALCOHOL LICENSE – BELLADORA CORP DBA THE VIN
5. BIN, 22 SOUTH STREET
The Select Board will consider an application submitted by The Vin Bin for an all-alcohol package store license. The Vin Bin currently operates with a Wine and Malt alcohol license, and the new license would allow the sale of additional alcoholic beverages. A new all-alcohol license has become available based on the increase in population for Hopkinton reported in the 2020 U.S. Census.
The Select Board approved a Section 15 Package Store All-Alcohol License for The Vin Bin, 22 South St.,
with the condition that hours of operation shall be: Sunday 10 AM – 6 PM; Monday-Saturday 10 AM –
10 PM. (5-0)
7:00 PM BOARD OF LIBRARY TRUSTEES APPOINTMENT
6. The Select Board and the remaining members of the Board of Library Trustees will interview candidates Warren Carter and David Dollenmayer, and consider voting to fill one Board of Library Trustees vacancy, with a term to expire at the May, 2022 Annual Town Election.
The Select Board and the Board of Library Trustees appointed David Dollenmayer to the Board of
Library Trustees, to a term expiring at the 2022 Annual Town Election. (8-0)
7:10 PM APPOINTMENTS – YOUTH COMMISSION, TOWN MODERATOR
7. The Select Board will consider making the following appointments:
a. YOUTH COMMISSION – Three vacancies, terms expire 1) 6/30/22, 2) 6/30/23, & 3) 6/30/23; Applicants: Jennifer Reed; Erica Lawrence
● The Select Board appointed Jennifer Reed and Erica Lawrence to the Youth Commission, to terms
expiring 6/30/2023. (5-0)
● The Select Board appointed Ellen Rutter as Town Moderator, to a term expiring at the 2022 Annual
Town Election. (5-0)
b. TOWN MODERATOR – Term expires at the May, 2022 annual town election;
Applicant: Ellen Rutter
7:15 PM APPOINTMENTS – NEW EMPLOYEES
8. The Select Board will consider confirming the Town Manager’s appointment of:
a. Nanci Hill, Library Director
b. Sarah Murphy, Public Safety Communications Dispatcher
Supporting Exhibits: Cover letters & Resumes
The Select Board confirmed the Town Manager’s appointment of Nanci Hill as Library Director and
Sarah Murphy as Public Safety Communications Dispatcher. (5-0)
7:25 PM LYKAN BIOSCIENCE
9. The Select Board will receive an update on Lykan Bioscience proposed expansion on
South Street and interest in a Tax Increment Finance Agreement.
The Select Board authorized the Town Manager and legal team to formally commence TIF negotiations
with Lykan Bioscience. (5-0)
7:35 PM COVID-19 UPDATE
10. The Select Board will receive an update on the Town’s response to the Covid-19 Pandemic.
7:45 PM ANNUAL LICENSE RENEWALS
11. The Select Board will consider renewing annual licenses for the following businesses:
a. Hopkinton Tennis & Swim Club, 27 Lumber St. – Section 12 All Alcoholic Beverages, On-Premises.
b. Donald Crawford d/b/a WSAB Enterprise, 32 East Main St. – Wholesale Class II Auto Sales.
c. Thomas White, d/b/a Whitehall Auto Sales, 34R Spring Street – Class II License.
● The Select Board approved the renewal of a Section 12 General On-Premises All Alcohol license for
the Hopkinton Tennis & Swim Club, 27 Lumber St., and a waiver of the Liquor Liability Insurance
Certificate, Workers Compensation Insurance Certificate, Employee ID number, TIPS Certifications
and Fire Dept. Safety Inspection Certificate, as the premises has not been constructed. (5-0)
● The Select Board approved the renewal of a Wholesale Class II Auto Sales license for WSAB
Enterprise, 32 East Main St., and a Class II License for Whitehall Auto Sales, 34R Spring St. (5-0)
7:55 PM MUNICIPAL WATER SUPPLY PFAS UPDATE – TEMPORARY SOLUTION
12. The Select Board will receive an update on the PFAS in the municipal water supply including public input on the temporary solution to PFAS. In response to the recent detection of PFAS compounds in Well #6 located on Fruit Street, the Hopkinton Department of Public Works has identified 4 options for providing a temporary solution for distributing water that is below the Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL) for PFAS while a permanent mitigation plan is executed. Town staff and the Select Board will decide on a preferred solution.
The Select Board recommended and endorsed the implementation of Options 3 or 4 as a temporary
solution, with Option 1 to be implemented until the temporary treatment system is operational. (5-0)
8:10 PM TOWN MANAGER REPORT
13. Town Manager will report on the following:
a. Main Street Corridor Project Update
b. FY23 Budget Update
c. Cumberland Farms West Main St. Driveways Update
d. Opioid Settlement: Authorization to sign participation agreement.
Supporting Exhibits: Town Manager Report
The Select Board authorized the Town Manager to sign the Opioid Settlement participation forms on
behalf of the Town and return them to the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office. (5-0)
8:20 PM LIAISON REPORTS/BOARD INVITES
14. Supporting Exhibit: FY 22 Liaison Assignments
8:25 PM FUTURE BOARD AGENDA ITEMS
15. Board members will identify future agenda items.
8:30 PM ADJOURN
Correspondence to Select Board
1. Board of Appeals Public Hearing Notice (103-109 South St.) & Notice of Decision (200 Wood St.)
2. Turkey Ridge Estates – Planning Board approval
3. Upper Charles Trail Progress Report Public Meeting – Dec. 8, 2021
4. Comcast Notice – Price Changes
Materials for this Meeting:
Related News Articles:
- Read “Select Board roundup: Lykan seeks to expand with new TIF; COVID cases rise; new library director welcomed“
- Read “Filtration system will be temporary solution for town’s tainted water“