New HPS Enrollment Projections
[Article updated 5/8/20] There were 3,903 students this fall in grades PreK-12. These numbers may continue to rise throughout the school year. The Superintendent presented new enrollment projections at the November 14, 2019 School Committee meeting. Watch the meeting video on YouTube.
This year the largest class is grade 11 with 330 students, grades 3, 7 & 9 are also over 300 students. Residential development is expected to continue at Legacy Farms in the coming years.
This year (as of 10/1/19) there are 441 students from Legacy Farms (an increase of over 100 from last year). Occupancy permits have been issued for 717 of the total 1,120 Legacy Farms units approved (64%). There is an average of 0.16/student per unit in the Legacy Farms Woodview Apartment Complex, and an average of 0.84/student per unit in the Legacy Farms North & South Villages. This year (as of 4/1/20) there are 466 students from Legacy Farms (an increase of 25 from October 2019). Occupancy permits have been issued for 766 of the total 1,120 Legacy Farms units approved (68%). There is an average of 0.15/student per unit in the Legacy Farms Woodview Apartment Complex, and an average of 0.83/student per unit in the Legacy Farms North & South Villages. “The Trails” at Legacy Farms (175 units) is an over-55 development in the works that has a deed-restriction designed to prevent any HPS students from living there.
Update (April 2020): HPS Students in Legacy Farms 4/1/20 – Report to Planning Board (PDF)
Update (May 2020): Letter to Roy MacDowell from the town regarding Legacy Farms School Enrollment 2020-05-04 (PDF)
The Legacy Farms Host Community Agreement has provisions in place if the enrollment exceeds the specified numbers. Both provisions have been met:
- Provision 1 – if total exceeds 250 students within 6 years of the first Certificate of Occupancy (6/27/2013), Legacy Farms is obligated to pay $500,000 to the schools. This payment has already been made to the town.
- Provision 2 – if total exceeds 266 during the period of time expiring 1 year after the date of the issuance of a certificate of occupancy for the final dwelling unit or the expiration of 18 years from the filing of the Notice (18 years from 7/31/2012), whichever is earlier, a one time payment of $270,000 (compounded at 4% annually since 2008) for each increment of 30 students is required.
- FY19 – Legacy Farms owes $831,300 for two increments of 30 pupils.
- FY20 – Based on 10/1/19 Enrollment: Legacy Farms owes an additional $1,246,950 for three additional increments of 30 pupils.
- FY20 Update – Based on 4/1/20 Enrollment: there is one more increment of 30 pupils for FY20, so the total amount due on 6/30/20 will be $1,662,600 ($415,650 for each of the 4 increments of 30 students).
Legacy Farms Host Community Agreement (PDF) – last amended after Town Meeting 2019
HPS HISTORIC ENROLLMENT & PROJECTIONS BY YEAR
|Year||Actual # of Students||NESDEC Projections 12/17/18||DRA Projections 11/14/19|
|2019-20||3903||3799 - exceeded by 104|
HPS 2019-20 ENROLLMENT BY GRADE
|School||Grade||# of Students (as of 7/17/19)||# of Students (as of 8/15/19)||# of Students (as of 9/5/19)||# of Students (as of 10/16/19)|
|Middle School||Grade 6||287||291||291||292|
|Middle School||Grade 7||313||317||318||318|
|Middle School||Grade 8||243||248||256||255|
|High School||Grade 9||332||323||322||319|
|High School||Grade 10||291||296||296||292|
|High School||Grade 11||326||327||329||330|
|High School||Grade 12||295||294||293||294|